Favorite ultralight Rods

faithless

I personally don't consider anything 4 lb test or higher to be ultralight, but instrad consider that light action.  I think the rod specifications generally agree with this.   Ultralight to me is 2lb test for common freshwater species like trout and panfish.

I use a moderate to moderate fast action St. Croix premeir graphite and have done so for 30 years.  If you want something a little fancier check out the St. Croix legend series.   St. Croix makes great rods and has a great warranty. 

On 6/17/2023 at 11:09 PM, MikeK said:

I personally don't consider anything 4 lb test or higher to be ultralight, but instrad consider that light action.  I think the rod specifications generally agree with this.   Ultralight to me is 2lb test for common freshwater species like trout and panfish.

I use a moderate to moderate fast action St. Croix premeir graphite and have done so for 30 years.  If you want something a little fancier check out the St. Croix legend series.   St. Croix makes great rods and has a great warranty. 

True, that's why I recommended the rod I did. OP says he wants an Ultralight, but then goes on to say 4-6lb test and with a fast (or even extra fast) action in 6'. I have never seen a rod designated as ultralight with those specs.

1 hour ago, snag777 said:

i prefer st.croix,6'6" or 7',medium ,light,it is very light and handle fish from 3" to 30",i can cast ,troll,jig and use with bober,in my opinion beter option and cover all range.

I too run 6' and 6'6" ul to protect the 2 lb test.  The flex in the longer moderate action rods give you the levege you need, while protecting the line and providing better casting.  Landed a 28" river brown on that the 6' setup with 2 lb test.  Twas a long fight in a big pool.

5 hours ago, MdCrappie said:

True, that's why I recommended the rod I did. OP says he wants an Ultralight, but then goes on to say 4-6lb test and with a fast (or even extra fast) action in 6'. I have never seen a rod designated as ultralight with those specs.

Most ultralight JDM rods are like this but they come with a extremely thin solid tip and tiny guides. Daiwa Kage is a domestic version of these rods.

33 mins ago, faithless said:

Most ultralight JDM rods are like this but they come with a extremely thin solid tip and tiny guides. Daiwa Kage is a domestic version of these rods.

Guess since I'd never consider $200 for an ultralight rod I never saw them. The lure rating still only goes down to 1/32. When ultralight fishing almost everything is 1/32 and under in weight.