Squeaky wood floor fix?

Rate this topic

Ripped up carpet in my living room last week. House was build in 1968 and has the thin long oak floors underneath. Want to try and eliminate some of the worst squeaking boards. I see there is a screw kit that the head breaks off under the wood. It get’s average reviews. Home Depot shows it for $30. I have probably 1/2 a box of self tapping deck screws left over from a project I previously did. What would you try? 

“All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.”

:laugh:   those screws will work for most.. But sometimes not all squeaks. 

If ya can find yer floor joists, yer good to go with just them screws. 

Ya have to walk about in one direction, find and then mark the squeaks, and then do it again in the opposite direction for marks. 

Any spot where both marks line up, you should drill for oil ! Or dig for diamonds!

Or,  put a screw there....

Edited by Ben Lippen

3 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

:laugh:   those screws will work for most.. But sometimes not all squeaks. 

If ya can find yer floor joists, yer good to go with just them screws. 

That is what I have read but I am sure many of the squeaks don’t line up with the joists. Lots of the squeaks are where the ends where two boards meet. I have to patch up lots of staple holes. Must have been a sale on staples 30 years ago when my parents had whoever put the carpets down. Freakin staples everywhere. I want to fill, light sand and stain those areas. 

My daughter who is living free in our basement apartment always complains about this! 

Sometimes it’s a poorly laid subfloor!
  I’ve heard of an old fix of sweeping talcum powder into any gaps in the hardwood flooring. 

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

6 hours ago, gray gables said:

I've screwed from underneath before with great results. 1 1/4 drywall screws into the hardwood flooring. 

Done that before as well. 

5 hours ago, cheech said:

My daughter who is living free in our basement apartment always complains about this! 

Sometimes it’s a poorly laid subfloor!
  I’ve heard of an old fix of sweeping talcum powder into any gaps in the hardwood flooring. 

Powder only lasts as long as ... well it\s powder.  Not a cure.

There used to be a kit with magnetic ball bearings. Roll the bearings across the floor and they stick to the nails and you can see where the joists are. 

The snap off screws work well but drill pilot holes first because the torque from screwing them in can snap them off too soon.

The trim screws work great but leave a bigger hole. I have drawn wood grain on top of waterbased filler to hide the round holes it comes out great, they really disappear.

Bought the squeek no more brand kit. It worked perfectly. I used a 7/64 bit to pre drill the hole. The screws snapped of just like they are suppose to. I used about a dozen screws of the fifty in the pack. I did the worst areas first. Never going to eliminate every single little squeek but it’s way better than it was.