First FG knot Braid to Braid

Rate this topic

Busanga

Did my first FG knot with 35lb daiwa uvf saltiga dura sensor x8 (thin stuff) to 97lb daiwa uvf saltiga dura sensor x8. worked great!

i cheated though and used the daiichi seiko knot assist tool, made it much easier . (generic pic of tool attached, not me) 

The 35lb really fused onto the 97lb and when i tested it the 35lb line broke before the knot budged.

FG Knot tool.jpg

First FG.jpg

Edited by Busanga

• Busanga changed the title to First FG knot Braid to Braid

that's a pretty good looking knot it does. I've seen the tool before but wondered how it would do with 80lb to 200lb braid, I'm pretty quick and never have an issue with my FG but it does do a number on my hands tying 5 reels up. How much faster/ easier was using the tool vs by hand?

The green braid is the 97lb what you see wrapped round it is the 35lb (multi colour) gone completely transparent round the green braid. Is almost like is fused on to the green braid. So it looks all green. it was blue (like the blue half hitches and the rizutto knot) but when pulled hard went transparent

Burned the tag ends down. As is braid on braid it completely hides. 

Like serving bow strings .

Once you get hang of the FG tool is very easy and fast. It seems fiddly on videos but in reality once you do it couple times it becomes automatic. 

Edited by Busanga

• 5 weeks later...

I also use this tool and recently watched some FG vs. PR knot videos and saw that PR won most of the time. So I bought a PR bobbin. Failed first 3 PR knots and was able to tie 2 of them “correctly” where it wouldn’t slip.

With that said, have you tried PR knots on your braid/mono-fluoro connections? I don’t think it would work braid to braid since it can’t “bite” into the braid.

cool. its a bit fiddly at first but once you have a rhythm going its pretty quick and consistent.

I just tied my first 60 twist bimini in 40lb Berkley X9 ..turned out fantastic..  very strong, cant break the knot.

Lots of lube and paid atention to the twisting and finishing.  i actually find it very easy to tie

x9 40lb 60 turn b.jpg

9 mins ago, hobbyisterisis said:

I also use this tool and recently watched some FG vs. PR knot videos and saw that PR won most of the time. So I bought a PR bobbin. Failed first 3 PR knots and was able to tie 2 of them “correctly” where it wouldn’t slip.

With that said, have you tried PR knots on your braid/mono-fluoro connections? I don’t think it would work braid to braid since it can’t “bite” into the braid.

Not used the pr knot ….. hell i just figured out t5he FG ;)

Joe. try the PR is great. is also very easy to do. just spin down the braid then up the braid tie off and done. nothing to it really. in some aspects i find it easier and faster than the FG.

especially once you get your bobbin set right then you just leave it on those settings for your braid purposes... done deal.

Aquaholic pointed me in this direction.. is now what i do very strong and easy

Edited by Busanga

16 mins ago, hobbyisterisis said:

Out of curiosity, what’s the use case for braid-to-braid other than for splicing? For splicing, simple uni-to-uni hasn’t failed me yet. But it seems like you are using stronger braid as leader? I’ve only used mono/fluoro/wire leaders, so I’m non-knowing.

We use heavy braid attached to light braid to cast large bait into the surf. Is a South Africa thing.

They use 15 foot surf rods with spinning reels and the heavy braid wraps once or twice around spool then falls about a meter out the end ot the rod. to which you attach your fishing rig..either pulley rig or whatever.

the forces generated by a 15 foot rod casting a heavy weight (up to 10oz plus bait) are tremendous and would break light line. rule of thumb is 10x each ounce cast plus 10oz ..so 6 oz lead would need 70lb braid. so we fish light line for capacity with about 7m heavy leader to cast the line out.

hope that makes sense.

Edited by Busanga

36 mins ago, hobbyisterisis said:

it works fantastic braid to braid, we do it all the time.

in terms of Surf Fishing for big fish in big seas i think SA is a world leader. they have developed alot of the techniques which are used around the world today...braid to braid FG and PR , slide baiting, dingle dangles etc etc.. they know their stuff. i learn alot from them. but yes..  good to know what everyone does around the world...  always learning