Has anyone ever been able to cast across the Canal or come close??

Rate this topic

codfish

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

If I’m interpreting this correctly, it appears from the below that you do have some in your collection. 

You would be correct my friend Peace and Prayers 

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

On 5/30/2023 at 10:52 AM, capecodder said:

A Gibbs popper, probably the worst distance casting plug made by Gibbs, but a great fishing plug. How was it loaded being a wooden plug?

capecodder,

Now that I think about it, I think you and I and a handful of guys in John Gibbs inner circle were the first to get the original 5oz Gibbs pencil.  I'm sure you recall, it was a three treble hooked monster, and only came in yellow, and frightened squid purple. 

You and I had to respool with 40lb mono for fear of casting it off with anything lighter.  I recall many mornings when you and I were raising fish after fish, casting blind on a screaming incoming tide.  The initial splash of the huge plug hitting the water, combined with all the commotion it made upon being retrieved was the ticket.

Demand was off the charts for the plug. So much so, they never really made it to the shelves of bait shops that first summer. John Gibbs and Kenny Lopes told me they couldn't keep up with orders for the canal buddies.

The Sultan of Sluggo

28 mins ago, bob_G said:

Now that I think about it, I think you and I and a handful of guys in John Gibbs inner circle were the first to get the original 5oz Gibbs pencil. .

Am I correct in assuming the introduction of the 5 oz was in direct response and the answer to guys who were loading the then 3 oz with 2 oz of weight?

certainly possible.

if you randomly measure a spot the west end. its roughly 700ft.

while extreme top casters here and globally can do 800-900+

Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 13-53-16 Google Maps.png

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')

Joe I am reaching out to some of my collectors to see if my memory serves me that he also early on made them larger with three hooks and heavier. Peace and Prayers 

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

59 mins ago, Joe G said:

Am I correct in assuming the introduction of the 5 oz was in direct response and the answer to guys who were loading the then 3 oz with 2 oz of weight?

Joe,

It would be impossible to a 3 ounce plug with 2 ounces of lead or bearings.  I'll explain.

A single pellet of 00buck weighs 34 grains. It takes approx 12 pellets to make an ounce.  24 pellets to make 2 ounces!   So unless the plug was the size of a Louisville Slugger, it would be impossible to load an ounce of 00 buck into a plug,  let alone 2 ounces.  Not to mention, all that additional weight would completely impact the casting integrity of the lure, ruining it's aerodynamic qualities.

Ive loaded a lot of Gibbs plugs, and if my memory still serves me, four pellets of 00 buck was all I could effectively load and still not completely compromise the lure. I would drill a shallow hole in the plug, then carefully insert the buckshot, and seal it in place with two part epoxy. Even with my best efforts, I rarely got it perfect, and the plug would always wobble on a cast.  

The Sultan of Sluggo

9 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Joe I am reaching out to some of my collectors to see if my memory serves me that he also early on made them larger with three hooks and heavier. Peace and Prayers 

Give capecodder a shout.  I'll bet he still has a half dozen or more in his basement. Possibly some still in the original package.

The Sultan of Sluggo

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Joe,

It would be impossible to a 3 ounce plug with 2 ounces of lead or bearings.  I'll explain.

A single pellet of 00buck weighs 34 grains. It takes approx 12 pellets to make an ounce.  24 pellets to make 2 ounces!   So unless the plug was the size of a Louisville Slugger, it would be impossible to load an ounce of 00 buck into a plug,  let alone 2 ounces.   

Hum.  Interesting.  If your calculations are correct, your conclusion appears to be spot on.  

As you know arithmetic was not my strong suit; however, I'm going to look at this from another perspective to see if it validates your findings.

In my short and unprofessional approach to loading plugs this is what I found for fishing not just casting. 

It was the medium sized Cordell loaded to 2 3/4 ounces that worked and flew the best for me.

Like I said this was just my findings missing around. 

I had 1 in my bag that was my best caster and producer for a number of years. 

troll #122  <*)))<

39 mins ago, shark lobster said:

Ive loaded a cordel pencil to 5 oz with just bb,s 

I have too, it definitely fishes more like a heavy needle or jig at that point. Cast's like a bullet too. Great for reaching out and under breaking fish to target the big girls that often cruise below the surface activity.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

37 mins ago, shark lobster said:

Ive loaded a cordel pencil to 5 oz with just bb,s 

So have I Chuck.  But I. This case I'm talking about loading a two ounce wooden pencil with buckshot. It's impossible to load it beyond an additional 3/4oz.

The Sultan of Sluggo

22 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

It has been often stated that it is a pint a pound the world  around in liquid measuring, so when you speak in grams, pounds  or tons it is still a ton no matter what it is. , but you already know that Peace and Prayers 

Ah, but a pint is not a pint the world around. An Imperial (UK) pint contains more liquid than a US pint---20 oz as opposed to 16.

Also, a troy pound is about 20% lighter than a standard pound. 

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver