Commercial Fishing

Rate this topic

S Hook

Please excuse my total ignorance on this subject.  

I fish a heck of a lot, but don’t know anything about what’s going on out there commercially.

I know they’re out there dragging nets but, how many of them are there would you estimate? How many fish can they keep, size limits?  Different regulations for every state?  Just wondering what’s going on out there as I keep my one or two fish per year. In reference to Striped  Bass.

Thanks.

2 mins ago, S Hook said:

I fish a heck of a lot, but don’t know anything about what’s going on out there commercially.

I know they’re out there dragging nets but, how many of them are there would you estimate? How many fish can they keep, size limits?  Different regulations for every state?  Just wondering what’s going on out there as I keep my one or two fish per year. In reference to Striped  Bass.

Thanks.

It all differs from state to state.

Some states have no commercial fishery.  Massachusetts doesn't permit any striped bass to be harvested by trawl, but only by hook and line.  New York doesn't allow a directed trawl fishery, but allows a 21-fish trip limit as bycatch.  Other states don't place significant restriction on trawls, so long as the overall landings fall within the commercial quota.  Other states fall somewhere within that broad range.

When you talk about striped bass, the important thing to remember is that the entire commercial fishery--trawls, gill nets, floating traps, pound nets, seines, hook and line--typically accounts for between 10 and 15 percent of overall fishing mortality.  The recreational fishery is responsible for the rest.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

20 hours ago, S Hook said:

Have no fear of being Clueless. A better word for ignorance, 

Searches with keywords on the world Wide Web will get all you want & factual.  It is as simple as entering the questions you are asking and in terms you will understand.  also, enterer the State & a specific fishery. 

On 5/27/2023 at 12:24 PM, S Hook said:

Something's never changes enjoy the post. 

And I love the term used Beer Can Science versus actual science.  That there is no shortage on here :deadhorse: but it sure gest beat up.

Remember its clueless not ignorance and the debating go on and on 

IMG_20230528_0001.jpg

There are some comms that take many many times more than your 1-2 fish per year and many many that take less (there is a fear that if you are not using your comm tags, if you give them up, that you will never get them back).

1 hour ago, Skin said:

There are some comms  :headscratch: that take many many times more than your 1-2 fish per year  :lost:and many many that take less (there is a fear that if you are not using your :shrug:  if you give them up, that you will never get them back).

Please enlighten me I'm from NJ :thanks:

(ii) Striped bass tags. All striped bass commercial permit holders must return any unused tags to the department by December 20th of the year the tags were issued. Permit holders who fail to return unused tags may be denied future commercial striped bass fishing permits pursuant to Part 175 of this Title. Permit holders who fail to accurately account for all tags may receive a reduction in the number of tags allocated in the next fishing season in which the permit holder applies for a striped bass commercial permit. This reduction in tags will be equal to the number of tags not accounted for in the previous fishing season.

21 mins ago, Baywatcher said:

Please enlighten me I'm from NJ :thanks:

They get tags. Cannot use more tags than you have, but can use less. All tags are accounted for. Stop applying for tags, the fear is that you may not get any more. Ever. Keep applying, keep getting tags, use no tags, return all tags, keep getting tags.

Edited by Skin

Thanks.

1 or 2 per year

I fish a heck of a lot, but don’t know anything about what’s going on out there :agree: commercially.

Neither do the agencies' tasked with keeping track. One of the Highest Security and closed areas are the Commercial Docs and Co Ops, 

On 5/28/2023 at 9:09 AM, Baywatcher said:

Have no fear of being Clueless. A better word for ignorance, 

I usually avoid the 'comms vs recs' arguments since they normally degenerate quickly into chaos.

I'm curious however, as to why 'clueless' is somehow "better" than 'ignorant'. According to the dictionary (merriam-webster.com) they mean exactly the same thing and can be used interchangeably.

Edited by C. Regalis
"Life's too short to fish with ugly flies."
Cynoscion Regalis

4 hours ago, C. Regalis said:

I usually avoid the 'comms vs recs' arguments since they normally degenerate quickly into chaos.

I'm curious however, as to why 'clueless' is somehow "better" than 'ignorant'. According to the dictionary (merriam-webster.com) they mean exactly the same thing and can be used interchangeably.

Then what is your problem :closed:

• S Hook locked and unlocked this topic