Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Striperfever

Where have all the Bluefish gone?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Atlantic Bluefish catches are in a 20-year slump, according to a study, but no one can say whether there are fewer bluefish in the water-- or if they are just harder to find.

Now Congress may spend more that1.5 million to find out whether the bluefish population has crashed or the fishjust have moved farther off shore.

Some people in the charterboat business are blaming commercial boats for the overfishing the bluefish.

But others blame pollution for shasing the fish away.

The House of Representatives approved an appropriations bill July 19 that targets $1.55 million to study the bluefish population.

Now it is up to the Senate to consider the bill.

Credit the A.C. Press

----------------------------------

Seems like all the fishes are doomed, as for the crabs and every thing else that swims in the Ocean. Some big mystery we have here, Wheres Shaggy, Scooby, Velma, and Fred when ya need them???wink.gif

SF

------------------

Is it Hot in here, or is it just me!!!

[This message has been edited by Striperfever (edited 07-26-2001).]

When I was a real little kid there were no bluefish.In the fifties they dissapeared completely.Catching any bluefish at all was rare.

In '61 my uncle caught one that went 12 1/2 lbs. and made the local papers.That was considered an exceptionally large specimen.

People actually drove over to his house that day just to see it.He caught it on a Hopkins which if I remember cost the outrageous amount of 2.49 each.I remember him complaining about the price.

I have always heard the theory that the bluefish move from one side of the Atlantic to the other.So when they are scarce here they are plentiful on the west coast of Africa.Anybody here from Senegal or the Cameroons?

They're at the giant bluefish conference, where they learn to bite soft plastics just behind the hook and how to recognize expensive wood plugs and expoxy flies. I'm sure of it.

------------------

tophat.gif

Fishin' ain't easy, but it sure is fun.

During the end of May I was out fishing for fluke and we noticed something poking out on top of the water off Keyport,NJ. A few other boats were around and they looked like they were fishing lures for blues. Well we stopped and realized that what we saw were the tails of numerous big blues. They appeared as if they were sunning themselves. We could visually pick out large individual fish and cast to them. There had to be hundreds of blues!!! Every cast pretty much yeilded a blue 8 to 12 lbs. Was absolutely incedible. We caught and released at least 20 fish apiece(me and my buddy) then we had to leave as we were just tired and sore from catching these beasts on fluke tackle. We ended up throwing anything shiny we had at em. Caught most of them on a crippled herring retreived very quickly so it stayed on the surface. Has anyone ever seen blues do this? They weren't in a frenzy, just swimming slowly on the surface with the top of their tail fin sticking out of the water. When one would get spooked the whole school would explode and disappear for a few seconds. Since then we've pretty much been plagued by them in Raritain Bay while flukin. Every trip out we come across blues...lately they've been in the 2-4lb range,with some larger ones mixed in. Its not non stop but every drift we get like 6 of em. I think I've caught more blues this year than any other year and I haven't even targeted them specifically. Snappers are in thick now(tiny ones about 3inches)so I don't personally see any shortaged in their stock. Maybe I just have a blues magnet attached to me somewhere...now if I could trade it in for a doormat or cow one I'd be extremely happy.

Anyway, just my two cents...icon20.gif

------------------

...ya gotta hook em to cook em...

got tog?

I haven't seen that myself, but I hear it's pretty common. Some say this is spawning behavior- at times they'll not eat when doing this. Then again maybe they were just catching some rays or basking in the warm water on top (it being spring behavior)

I have never seen the blues do this, yet I have seen the Bass and weakies do it, only they were in some kind of trance. What ever we threw at them, they would just ignore. One time I was fish WW fishing a little lagoon when I see a nice size school of Weakies swim by, I threw every thing I own and it was like they didnt even see the lures...Ya got me!

SF

------------------

Is it Hot in here, or is it just me!!!

I caught a Bluefish in the Mediterranean Sea back in '96. I was fishing near the Rock of Gibraltar when the thing hit. I honestly said to myself, "that feels like a Blue!" It was! Actually, it was grey in color, but it was the exact same thing as a bluefish. The teeth were the same, the gills looked identical, the fins, the eyes and the tail. I let her go and never caught another.

"Blues grow their largest in the Eastern Atlantic, specimens reaching 30 lbs. The eastern fish are caught in the Azores, Canary Islands, and from France on down to coastal Africa. They are also large in the Mediterranean."

------------------

THE KID [a.k.a. "BLACKBALL"]

I remember the same thing as 10X10. All the old party boat captains back then said that bluefish numbers were cyclic. You see them for a long time and you don't see them for a while. The same was said for weakfish and I have now lived through two down cycles and have seen a second, the current, up cycle with these fish. Yes, conservation is very important but let's not get crazy.

On the Med bluefish.. How do we convince the other half that we need to travel to the south of France or to Italy every year to meet the bluefish run off the island of Capri?? How do we get permits to drive on their beaches??? Such a problem, eh..wink.gif

Well Ive been catching 3-4lb blues on Staten Island. They seem to be all over, I still cant catch a bass but the bluefish im good at smile.gif.

------------------

Robert

In reference to GOTOG's post.Yes I see them do that every in May on MV.They do not appear to be actively feeding but will aggressively attack anything moving that they see.Usually enmasse.I have seen Bass doing the same thing.But to get them you had to match the bait.

I've got a video of an unbelievably huge school of blues cruising slowly down the beach.It took four whole days for the school to swim by and I was told it was something like 45 miles+ long.It stretched solid from about the Tisbury pond all the way down South beach,East beach and over the sound to Woods Hole at the peak of the run.

I've seen them doing the same thing off Jersey in a boat.They would be in pods of 10 to 30 fish or so and they appear to be at rest.A trolled lure or chunk bait usually had no success but a lure or fly casted to them almost always worked.Generally the louder and more obnoxious the better.I have only seen them finning like that right in the surface when the water was dead flat.Whether it was from the beach or boat.

10x10, true, as I recall the water was as calm as could be. I think I need to start taking a video camera out with me...sometimes you just see some really incredible things out there.wink.gif Especially around the nude beach at the Hook...

------------------

...ya gotta hook em to cook em...

got tog?