DRINKING OUT OF A HOSE - "For Fooqs sake"

Rate this topic

flyangler

On 5/25/2023 at 9:58 AM, Nite_Bite_00 said:

never. the only bottled water was Seltzer and Club soda. and they were .20 cents for a liter.

Liter?? WTF are you talking about with that commieshit?? Nothing came in a liter when I was a kid. 

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

On 5/25/2023 at 10:02 AM, Ditchbag said:

Anybody remember when you had to "make" ice ?

Lol

Hell Yes, for years had to fill ice cube trays for the freezer to make cubes. Got real good at stacking multiple trays in the freezer for 'production'.

Also remember getting our first color TV as a kid. That was a big deal... long before remote controls.

On 5/25/2023 at 10:42 AM, Bergallmaster said:

we could play war

WAR! we would have epic games of "Army" using plastic guns, things that looked like guns and, eventually, BB guns. lengths of plastic as bazookas, things fashioned as "grenades", etc. 

and then, when the acorns dropped, the slingshots came out and things go really interesting....

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

On 5/25/2023 at 10:52 AM, MikeMc said:

Liter?? WTF are you talking about with that commieshit?? Nothing came in a liter when I was a kid. 

12oz soda and beer standard

pints

quarts

gallons

and then nippers came in 8 oz bottles and midget cans. 

and frack that Euro-metric crap and Jimmy Carter for trying to shove it down our throats. 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

On 5/25/2023 at 10:53 AM, JAL said:

Hell Yes, for years had to fill ice cube trays for the freezer to make cubes. Got real good at stacking multiple trays in the freezer for 'production'.

And when a big party was planned, putting frozen cubes into Ready Whip bowls for a surplus of ice 

On 5/25/2023 at 10:53 AM, JAL said:

Also remember getting our first color TV as a kid. That was a big deal... long before remote controls.

you sound like you are old enough to serve as your dad's "remote control" - "Jimmy, get up and go through the dial for me"

"Johnny, find the Mets' game for me"

"Jeffrey, no more cartoons, time to watch the Jets"

- Victor Davis Hanson 

On 5/25/2023 at 10:57 AM, flyangler said:

WAR! we would have epic games of "Army" using plastic guns, things that looked like guns and, eventually, BB guns. lengths of plastic as bazookas, things fashioned as "grenades", etc. 

and then, when the acorns dropped, the slingshots came out and things go really interesting....

I remember my brother getting his head busted open when some kid swung his wooden stock fake gun as my brother came out of the alley. lol

I also had my head spilt open during a rock fight on the railroad. I had climbed in a coal car and this kid just lobbed a rock from the track that hit me square on the top of the head. 

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

On 5/25/2023 at 9:52 AM, flyangler said:

but i do recall, that if it was really hot and the hose was sitting out in the sun, you had to run the water for quite a while to avoid drinking both hot and vinyl-tasting water. 

we had a neighbor, a dentist, who was the high-earner in the old hood. he had a water fountain attachment hooked up to his hose spigot so we could drink w/o having to deal with the hose. my guess is he bought it as a purpose-made item from the local hardware store, that's how common drinking outside was in our day. 

The water down here had to be 200 degrees in the summertime.

Dad wouldn't buy a "expensive" no taste camping hose for our slide in so the water while we were camping tasted like vinyl/ rubber with a little saltwater mixed in,even in the sink,  mom drank wine and dad drank beer , we had to drink the water weeee

how lucky am i

to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard

Shooting a coon in a 60ft tree out of a boat in the dark holding a flashlight can be tricky. ..

On 5/25/2023 at 9:55 AM, Ditchbag said:

I'd bet 95 % of these kids never drank water from the sink .

The fashion bottled water kick!

I'm pretty sure in the 70s as kids we didn't drink bottle water one time !

Did we even have it?

how lucky am i

Shooting a coon in a 60ft tree out of a boat in the dark holding a flashlight can be tricky. ..

On 5/25/2023 at 11:08 AM, redfishkiller said:

Did we even have it?

You could get gallons of spring water when I was a kid, but not individual bottles that I can remember. 

On 5/25/2023 at 10:52 AM, MikeMc said:

I got hit in the head ,by accident, with one of those big ass glass  coke bottles 32oz? When I was a kid almost killed me lol

how lucky am i