Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jason

NeedleFish Question!

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

A friend of mine just gave me two gorgeous needlefish he built himself. I was throwing them last night in the West Coast Surf. They are floaters and had very little action.

I only own one other needlefish brown over silver bought it when I was in New Jersey. Caught some fish on it but it was a sinker.

My question is are needlefish supposed to sink? If not how do I fish 'em. Last night I was using a slow straight retrieve with an occassional twitch. Any suggestions on how to do it right?

Jason

I like to reel them with the rod low and as slow as I can stand.No twitch.They seem to work best on flat water but I've done pretty good sometimes in big waves with a fast retrieve too.I prefer a floater and I like them riding nose high.

A deadly lure in black,black/white,yellow/white or all yellow for me.Sometimes I fish them with a teaser.

I like to fish them w/ rod tip low and making a small wake on flat water. I've used the sinking types also and just used a steady retrieve, no twitches, but you never know what is going to work so experiment and see what the fish like. They are unpredictable little creatures that make you look like a stud one day and a weekend warrior the next. Then when nothing works, stick on a jig, a plug or give those rigged eels a shot. I also seem to only use the needlefish in the fall myself? Don't ask me why, it's just a confidence thing with me.