Would you say this is still the best lure for the Canal??

Rate this topic

On 5/5/2023 at 1:10 PM, codfish said:

Now that the Canal with the new slot limit soon 28-31 is almost a "catch and release" will it effect the numbers of people fishing it??

Maybe, at least until commercial season starts. But poachers are still going to run fish back to their vehicles, especially where they’re parked close-by like at Bell Rd and Area 51. 

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

On 5/5/2023 at 6:10 AM, codfish said:

Now that the Canal with the new slot limit soon 28-31 is almost a "catch and release" will it effect the numbers of people fishing it??

Most there don’t follow the current rules why will they start now?

If the epos were actually serious about curtailing canal poaching, they need to begin with checking everyone's license. On any given day on Bell Rd, Area51, the herring run or the MMA half the people fishing have no license.

No exceptions. We see it all the time. The BPD or an EPO cruiser pulls in, and you immediately hear "policia, policia", at which time half the people fishing drop or abandon the rods they were holding just moments before. 

If you get caught without a license, you get a fine. I see it all the time. The epo checks a guy, no license, and he gets told to go home. Come back when you get a license.

If the epos won't enforce the most basic regulation, that you must have a license, why would people worry about keeping illegal or undersize fish?

The Sultan of Sluggo

On 5/5/2023 at 2:59 PM, bob_G said:

If the epos were actually serious about curtailing canal poaching, they need to begin with checking everyone's license. On any given day on Bell Rd, Area51, the herring run or the MMA half the people fishing have no license.

No exceptions. We see it all the time. The BPD or an EPO cruiser pulls in, and you immediately hear "policia, policia", at which time half the people fishing drop or abandon the rods they were holding just moments before. 

If you get caught without a license, you get a fine. I see it all the time. The epo checks a guy, no license, and he gets told to go home. Come back when you get a license.

If the epos won't enforce the most basic regulation, that you must have a license, why would people worry about keeping illegal or undersize fish?

Do the EPOs nevere work out of unmarked cars?

On 5/5/2023 at 3:44 PM, BrianBM said:

Do the EPOs nevere work out of unmarked cars?

I've twice seen an EPO at the canal.
Once he was walking down the access road at the Scusset pier... probably back to the parking lot.
The other time was a couple years ago during one of those weird august blitzes and everyone was poaching their brains out they had to do something.

DITCH TROLL

On 5/5/2023 at 4:19 PM, pogie_boy said:

I've twice seen an EPO at the canal.
Once he was walking down the access road at the Scusset pier... probably back to the parking lot.
The other time was a couple years ago during one of those weird august blitzes and everyone was poaching their brains out they had to do something.

I called on a couple of those occasions, and the dispatcher got a bit snarky with me, and I gave it right back. 

He finally said we know there's poaching going on on the canal, we get it,  the phone hasn't stopped ringing all morning.

The Sultan of Sluggo

On 5/5/2023 at 2:59 PM, bob_G said:

I don’t care too much about if they have a license or not. It’s really just a cash grab by the state. I care more about all of the poaching and terrible fish handling going on. 

On 5/2/2023 at 10:41 AM, zak-striper said:

When fishing overnight, my "search" lures are sluggos bounced on the bottom and a stickbait to find fish holding mid column along the rips.

Daytime, my lure selection varies depending on the time of year, the bait, if fish are breaking or if I'm trying to find them. I'll sometimes throw white sluggos during the day or pink ones if squid are around, but for the most part my sluggos are overnight lures.

Heretic! :)

Unfortunately sluggo discontinued this color.

20170908_003549.jpg.488818aa6cffee45deedb20d3a2c065f.jpg

20170808_102603.jpg.97c9dcb40afec2e66e38b19aa71c5532.jpg

Wow,sad looking fish,big head/skinny body;undernourished

Saw a garbage bag of fish carried up the rocks and across the service road to a nearby car. Pedaled on down to the fish pier and saw the EPO gave him the info and the license number. Nice guy had seen him a few times checking size and licenses. Essentially told me that spot was well known and impossible to police.

Puck - Ditch Troll #42 and Mouse #320, the Canadians  - Eh! At the Ditch for 50yrs

On 5/7/2023 at 9:27 PM, speedwell said:

Saw a garbage bag of fish carried up the rocks and across the service road to a nearby car. Pedaled on down to the fish pier and saw the EPO gave him the info and the license number. Nice guy had seen him a few times checking size and licenses. Essentially told me that spot was well known and impossible to police.

Sad stuff speed