John Skinner rods

Rate this topic

BrianBM

Lamiglas or Dark Matter?

I bought a new GSB Skinner 2 piece directly from Lamiglas for a trip to Sebastian inlet. I broke it on the second or third cast with a 2oz popper. 

Lamiglas had the worse customer service I have experienced. Best I could do months later was pay for a replacement top with no guides. I suspect the 4 guides was terrible at distributing the load.  

I love my old Lamiglas XRA, SSU and GSB but new rods will be St. Croix. 

9C7AE72E-DFDC-4F13-88DA-A78FEB9EB65C.jpeg

1E6D9346-30E6-4317-823E-C855FE3FF86A.jpeg

15 mins ago, ged said:

Lamiglas or Dark Matter?

I bought a new GSB Skinner 2 piece directly from Lamiglas for a trip to Sebastian inlet. I broke it on the second or third cast with a 2oz popper. 

Lamiglas had the worse customer service I have experienced. Best I could do months later was pay for a replacement top with no guides. I suspect the 4 guides was terrible at distributing the load.  

The 1pc is not any better. Sloppy garbage- had to return it in a week. Consider myself lucky that the tackle shop even took it back

I just checked the JandH site. The 9'2" rod has but four guides and a tip, which is silly for a rod that size. I'll bet that's the one that Ged broke. It's made in China of Korean and Japanese components. 

Century blanks are made in the UK. I don't know what Lami still makes here. St. Croix's higher end rods are made here. United Composites makes rods and blanks here, but surf is a sideline for them. I THINK North Fork Composites blanks are made here ... not a lot of choice left for American product.

51 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I just checked the JandH site. The 9'2" rod has but four guides and a tip, which is silly for a rod that size. I'll bet that's the one that Ged broke. It's made in China of Korean and Japanese components. 

Century blanks are made in the UK. I don't know what Lami still makes here. St. Croix's higher end rods are made here. United Composites makes rods and blanks here, but surf is a sideline for them. I THINK North Fork Composites blanks are made here ... not a lot of choice left for American product.

That is the rod. 9’2” with 4 guides :) 

2 hours ago, ged said:

Lamiglas or Dark Matter?

Yeah I’ve never understood why skimmer chose that guide layout for a production rod. It seems like even in the situations he designed it for that guide train is dated and inefficient, and at worst puts an unusual load on the blank

I love the John Skinner Rod custom built: GSB 120 1L blank cut about a foot off the butt.  Unfortunately I snapped mine in half last fall after only a few seasons use. It was built with the newer style guide set up (seven plus tip).  No Lami warranty available and new Lami blanks are “made in Mexico” and much more expensive then only a year ago.  I had another one built.  

AA2CFCFD-E97D-4935-8BA1-EA6EF8D52D15.jpeg

10 hours ago, ged said:

Lamiglas or Dark Matter?

I had pretty much the same experience with my GSB skinner rod. Blew up casting a 2oz Gibbs pencil, on the third time out, same spot as you. Lamiglas customer service is a joke, I tried for a year to warranty the rod with no response from them. It’s still busted in the corner or my room. Ran into one of their reps last week at the striper kickoff and told him my experience, I heard a lot of excuses about Covid, the state of Washington’s liberal politics and employees who don’t want to work but didn’t say a word about remedying the broken rod. I’ll never by another lami, there’s plenty of nice rods out there these days, from companies that stand behind their work.

7 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Buy the factory GSB 120 1L (one piece) instead of the Lami Skinner. Much better rod imo.

I agree. I built one with titanium guides. That was a really nice rod. Sadly I broke that one chasing Bonito in the canal a few years ago. I think that is the only rod I have broken at the canal. 

100% user fault

Ive had the the 1201L cut down to about 9’2” for about 6-7 seasons, pretty versatile rod. It’s really not great at anything except topwater but does the job like every other GSB I’ve owned 

Edited by Striper9