Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJCoastFlyFish

Storing and Salting clams

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I used the search feature and didn't really find what I was looking for.

I want to know how long can a salted clam stay in the refrigerator before you have to chuck them?

I bought a dozen fresh surf clams over the weekend, but didn't get to use them because of unexpected soar throat and a fever. I didn't really know what to do because I knew I wasn't going to be back out fishing for another week, so I decided to salt them, throw them in a zip lock and put them in the refrigerator. I am a forced weekend warrior, so I can't use them until Friday.

How much time this will buy me? What is the best method for storing clams?

Would it have been a better idea to freeze the clam, or would that take some of the scent and freshness out of it? I also wondered if that would weaken the clam to the point where it wouldn't have a chance on a hook.

I also wondered about just throwing the clam, shell and all, right into the freezer or refrigerator, or would keeping them in an aquarium keep them alive? It would be excellent if I can find a way to keep them alive for a long period of time, but I need a good way to keep them fresh.

Any thoughts????

How do you throw a clam with a fly rod? Ha HA Ha- just couldn't resist that. LOL smile.gif

In answer to your question, use kosher salt ( a lot) and either freeze or put in refrig- I store in rubbermaid containers in refrig. As long as they are kept in refrig w/o reheating, my experience is they last months. This spring, I used leftovers from last fall (early Dec.) and caught bass in April.

Obviously, I'm not married. If you used enough salt, you'll be OK.

Walt

Woops, forgot to answer your second question. I always shuck, salt and keep cool. Never tried freezing whole clams or using a salt water aquarium.

Walt

Kosher salt and layer them salt, clams, salt..etc in a rubbermaind container. I had to use frozen clams week ago, and if that is all there is, I ain't fishing, or am plubbing....dosent work for me..

I found that I catch better when I ease up on the salt content. I add just enough to stiffen them up a bit, but not enough to turn em to jerkey. They still keep a long time in the fridge.

I put em in a Chinee soup container and use kosher salt, more than you would think, like about 1/4 of the container full, no water is needed the clams have their own juices, they will last for months in the fridge, freezer is not necesary, this also works for eels.