Thanks to all

Rate this topic

Thanks to everyone who chimed in for this newbies trip to the outer banks, it was a blast! Although we didn’t find any drum we saw lots of cool stuff and incredible wildlife, from bears to rattlesnakes!

Fishing was still fun with Lots of small to mid sized bluefish, a ton of Shad, skates, rays and missed some Sharks. 
But just wanted to take a min to say thanks to everyone for the advice and tips and I can’t wait to go back for a redemption trip!
Tight lines all

GOD made my Mold different from the rest, Then he broke that mold so I know I'm Blessed.

• 2 weeks later...

I would also like to say Thank you to everyone who replies and helps out new comers.  I am 17 days away from leaving for Hatteras.  Although I have been to/fished the area before (with little to no luck) I feel I have a better chance this year with some knowledge gained, and some homework done on google earth.  

Hoping to surf fish as much as possible and hopefully get into the sound on a kayak a few times.

Thanks everyone and keep up the good work

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2023 at 9:08 AM, hhager23 said:

Will be in Frisco starting Memorial Day if anyone else is in the area then. 

I'll be down June 2-7. This time Hatteras Island. Probably staying in Buxton. Maybe I'll see ya down there. 

live everyday as if it is your last, it just might be

On 5/20/2023 at 7:08 AM, hhager23 said:

Will be in Frisco starting Memorial Day if anyone else is in the area then. 

HHager23, you have any suggestions for fishing bad weather?  Seems like Memorial day weekend isn't going to be the best weather.  Hoping it clears the 2nd half of the week.  Thank you

Well the red drum love choppy water so there is that. My alternative plan for bad weather is to concentrate on fishing the soundside and/or possibly hitting Bonner bridge or some of the piers. Really the only thing I worry about weather wise is lightning. Lightning will find me inside tying rigs or collecting bait. The good thing is that spots on the beach will be less crowded (a huge bonus for Memorial Day weekend). Fewer people in the water means more fish. 

Cephalopholis suggested trying these triangle weights as opposed to sputnik sinkers for rougher surf and I'm looking forward to trying them.  I like the idea that the centers should fill with sand and give added weight that I don't have to cast. 

I have a tough time getting some baits to stay on the hook in really rough water. Shrimp and some of the softer fish seem particularly prone to coming off the hook so rough surf usually means I'll stick to chunked mullet or even squid.

weight.jpg

Edited by hhager23

"A land without memories is a people without liberty" - Robert E. Lee

On 5/24/2023 at 7:09 AM, hhager23 said:

Well the red drum love choppy water so there is that. My alternative plan for bad weather is to concentrate on fishing the soundside and/or possibly hitting Bonner bridge or some of the piers. Really the only thing I worry about weather wise is lightning. Lightning will find me inside tying rigs or collecting bait. The good thing is that spots on the beach will be less crowded (a huge bonus for Memorial Day weekend). Fewer people in the water means more fish. 

Cephalopholis suggested trying these triangle weights as opposed to sputnik sinkers for rougher surf and I'm looking forward to trying them.  I like the idea that the centers should fill with sand and give added weight that I don't have to cast. 

I have a tough time getting some baits to stay on the hook in really rough water. Shrimp and some of the softer fish seem particularly prone to coming off the hook so rough surf usually means I'll stick to chunked mullet or even squid.

weight.jpg

Have you ever tried miracle/magic thread to hold the softer baits on the hook?  Works pretty well

On 5/24/2023 at 1:35 PM, CrappieAttitude said:

Have you ever tried miracle/magic thread to hold the softer baits on the hook?  Works pretty well

No, I have not but I may give it a shot. Thank you

"A land without memories is a people without liberty" - Robert E. Lee