The Current State of Surf Fishing

Rate this topic

fishless

On 5/9/2023 at 8:59 AM, fishless said:

On average I land the fish, measure and tag and get the fish back into the water inside of 25 seconds.  And you'll never see me participate in a photo shoot.  Even if asked by friends to snap a pic of theirs.  I would have loved to be asked by the punk that bothered Adams.  

I also tag my fish using the ALS spaghetti tag where I tie the knot..don't think I do it as fast as u so wondering what tag are u using...

On 5/16/2023 at 11:42 AM, Bob S. said:

I also tag my fish using the ALS spaghetti tag where I tie the knot..don't think I do it as fast as u so wondering what tag are u using...

I'm using a dart tag attaching it near the dorsal.  

"I was a waste of time dumbasses"  Sevenxseventy1

On 5/16/2023 at 12:58 PM, fishless said:

I'm using a dart tag attaching it near the dorsal.  

I figured that...lot faster than the ALS tag...they do have a new tag that has a clip at the end buy it leaves a large loop that I just don't like on the fish..

On 5/8/2023 at 7:00 PM, Danny1199 said:

If you have a Facebook account, join some fishing groups. Doesn't matter which. Freshwater, saltwater.  

You'll see 100 pictures a day of mishandled fish that "safely swam away".  Just saw a picture of a shad from the Delaware, guy has his entire hand in the gills with the caption "safely released".   

I re-joined facebook 3 months ago after about a 10 year hiatus just to browse and sell on marketplace (craigslist has been super useless lately) but have found my way into a few striper and plug building groups. Boy do I regret it. The amount of goons gilling schoolies, giving out exact spot locations, and just generally showing off embarrassing fish is crazy

On 5/16/2023 at 1:42 PM, AClarke said:

I re-joined facebook 3 months ago after about a 10 year hiatus just to browse and sell on marketplace (craigslist has been super useless lately) but have found my way into a few striper and plug building groups. Boy do I regret it. The amount of goons gilling schoolies, giving out exact spot locations, and just generally showing off embarrassing fish is crazy

instagram is the same way now. 

On 5/22/2023 at 7:52 PM, AClarke said:

I cropped it to keep the guys anonymity but it’s only a drop in the bucket. Covered in sand, eye already looks dead. Seriously who takes pics of a 20 inch fish, I don’t get it. 

IMG_1261.jpeg

Probably first striper he's ever caught no experienced surf fisherman takes pics of shorts like that

On 5/23/2023 at 6:52 AM, lostinthewash said:

Probably first striper he's ever caught no experienced surf fisherman takes pics of shorts like that

Youd think so but his page has more than a few pics of fish. None bigger than 28 inches or so..

Edited by AClarke

• 2 weeks later...

New Jersey should close fishing in the  Raritan Bay until after the fish spawn. It’s a complete s**t show in the spring. I only fish for or stripers seriously in the fall. I’ll play around at night with my fly rod from now until fall. I don’t know why but peoples interest seems to drop off as the season progresses. I guess they got their face **** photo. 

9 hours ago, Lurp66 said:

I don’t know why but peoples interest seems to drop off as the season progresses. I guess they got their face **** photo. 

There's a variety of reason for that.  Migratory patterns being the biggest one and a good number of local anglers will follow the heard.  Plus other fisheries start to setup.  Fluke for one.  But I prefer to switch gears and start looking at freshwater.   I live at the shore and weekend crowds can make life miserable so I head for calmer more peaceful settings to my west.  

"I was a waste of time dumbasses"  Sevenxseventy1

3 mins ago, fishless said:

There's a variety of reason for that.  Migratory patterns being the biggest one and a good number of local anglers will follow the heard.  Plus other fisheries start to setup.  Fluke for one.  But I prefer to switch gears and start looking at freshwater.   I live at the shore and weekend crowds can make life miserable so I head for calmer more peaceful settings to my west.  

Exactly correct memorial day to labor day is a shat show at the shore night and day in some areas

My only complaint about fishing lately is, it's tough to find a Dunkin that's open.

"If you want to consider what 'social security' does for and to people, look at the American Indian." -Henry Ford

"If I could live my life over, I'd live it over Giglio's B&T." -Bud E. Brown

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.