Powder coating jigs

Rate this topic

dannyplug1

After you pour the lead and touch up the castings on a jig I have some questions.  First if your powder coating do you need to prime before opener coating?  Second how many seconds do you need to heat the jig with a propane torch before you put the jig in the powder coat bath?  Thanks Charlie 

Depends on size of lead. Small jigs only take a couple seconds but when you dip you’ll know if it was enough or too much. I use an alcohol burner and they may be slower than a propane torch. I don’t use a fluid bed and have good luck stirring or fluffing the powder every couple jigs. 
  Too much heat it will boil or cook. 
  Not enough and it won’t coat. 
It’s a steep curve. 
Haven’t heard of a primer for them. Some colors need an undercoat of white to look right though. 
just my 2 cents. 

I use a toaster oven to heat the jigs before powder coating. I have mine set on 350. Give them 10 minutes or so to heat up, then use needle nose pliers to pull a jig out and run it through the powder. If you are not using a fluid bed, stir the powder after a few jigs to keep it fluffed up. Wvbud covered the rest of the process. No primer.

I don’t use a torch, a heat gun works fine. 15-30 seconds depending on the size of the jig. Heat it up good using a pair of pliers to hold the hook. Into the fluid bed then back to the heat gun to smooth out and into a toaster oven to cure. The only time I base coat is when using glow paints or certain metallics, these benefit from a white undercoat. 
Powder paints benefit greatly from a proper fluid bed, they are easy to make yourself. The thinner the coat the better the result.  This is mine. 

IMG_5988.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Not sure how you guys do this , I tried once and the results were bad , 2 jigs went to the trash because somehow the powder was so thick , 

Then I decided to use cheap number stamps , white primer, red color paint , epoxy 2 coats ( I added the weight because I had the stamps already ) 

Not sure if the epoxy will hold , but my experience with powder was not great , but I will try it again for sure 

Screenshot_20230523_114158_Gallery.jpg

(*edited - member formerly known as 'icebear2738')

On 5/23/2023 at 5:02 PM, 197esmer said:

Gfish, that fluid bed is awesome 

Thank you, I cant take much credit though as I learned how on the YouTube. The best part is you can make as many top sections as you have colors and they stay somewhat neat popping them on to the air chamber bases. I also make some of them much taller for dipping large speed or flat fall jigs. It really works good and not hard to do.