Okuma Tesoro

Rate this topic

Busanga

I might try the tsr-5000xa version after the first production cycle. It’s only available in India right now. If the 6000’s ever land in the us I’d prob grab one of those too. Charkbait has all the other sizes instock if u want one of the bigger ones. They are a great shop. 

Just received an email that CharBait having a promotion through Saturday 1/26/24.  May be worth a look.

"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming."

John Steinbeck

I just can’t get behind anything Okuma .. I bought one the Cedros spinners year ago when they first came out .. it was smooth and fast retrieve and great drag .. fished it about 2-3 weeks and had maybe 30-50 bass and blues on it and blew up the main gear. Sent it back and they replaced the main and pinion .. and two later blew it up and again and it’s been sitting in a box useless ever since..  was a huge disappointment from a reel they advertised as tuna jigging reel . Figured it would handle some bass and blues no problem… but nope 

You can use the highest quality materials available for parts but without the engineering to back it up, it’s useless. We’ve seen this before from a few different companies. I guess only time will tell. They do look good though. 

• 1 month later...

Feels solid. I’m not a guy who will rip it apart and do a review, but if it’s as well made as it looks and feels, it’s legit. 
Heavy, 25 oz. Very reminiscent of the 14’ Saltiga.

As for some comments regarding Okuma engineering…I have to agree to disagree. They have a lot of reels, mostly blah to less than blah. I’ve had Makaira conventional that are tanks, ridiculously smooth. I’ve landed a very large tuna on a Makaira 130. They are some of the best conventional reels made. I hope this reel follows this same philosophy.

IMG_0603.jpeg

Edited by Pearl Bomber

Stelllas are the one reel I’ve never had. I’d say it’s very similar in size and feel of the Spheros SWA 14000. Rotor and spool are smaller than a Certate 14K or Saltiga 5000. The body is big, I suspect to house the large brass main gear it boasts.

It’s smooth, but not as smooth as current Diawa MQ reels. I had a BGMQ that was crazy smooth. I don’t know if anything will compare to the smoothness Diawa is achieving right now. 
I was really hoping Alan Hawk’s long awaited reel review that came out Wednesday was going to be the Tesoro. Instead it is the BGMQ. Bummed. Tackle Advisors (Scooby) reviewed it years ago…

I’ll provide more feedback when I start fishing it. It’s still winter here in NH, but I look forward to putting up to the test in some of our local waters and at the Ditch.

Cheers

PB

Edited by Pearl Bomber

• 4 months later...

I came back from a trip to Los Barrilos, Mexico to catch big fish. My spinning setup for the surf and boat was the Tesoro 8000.

Hooked several striped marlins, boated a couple and it performed really well. Drag was smooth and I wasn’t worried about the reel failing. I was more worried about the travel rod breaking (Tsunami kayak & boat travel rod).

Also caught 50+ lb roosterfish and a few 15-20 lb yellowfin tunas on the reel.

Skip to 19:10 to see the drag peeling:

I am looking to buy the 6000 when it becomes available.

Not a same reel, mine was RTX (still Okuma) but (almost) same shirt.

:)

Corbina, 001.jpg

Edited by Popasilov

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-