Jump to content

Okuma Tesoro

Rate this topic


Busanga

Recommended Posts

Been interested in this reel also. It was introduced at Icast like 2 years ago then they started advertising it again but I have yet to see anything about one other than Okumas site and Alan Hawks website background. I thought he would have a review by now but it seems like he takes 3 years to put out content nowadays. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 9 months later...
23 mins ago, bajanfish said:

Does anyone know if there are any updates on this reel? I feel like I have been hearing whispers about this reel forever and yet hardly anyone is carrying them. Has anyone had the chance to see one in person or use one? 

Ha! I started a thread about this too a while back. Even sent an Alan Hawk an email asking about them. Alan wouldn't comment on it until it was released.  They’re elusive or fictional unless someone else says otherwise. Most of the sites that offer them are scam sites, last time I looked. 

Gave up and got a nice Certate SW 14K on here. 

Edited by Pearl Bomber
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Pearl Bomber said:

Ha! I started a thread about this too a while back. Even sent an Alan Hawk an email asking about them. Alan wouldn't comment on it until it was released.  They’re elusive or fictional unless someone else says otherwise. Most of the sites that offer them are scam sites, last time I looked. 

Gave up and got a nice Certate SW 14K on here. 

LOL! If not for the Tackle Direct videos, I would believe this reel was a figment of my imagination as well. I've held out for a while waiting on this reel but I think I'm going to do like you and go in a different direction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 mins ago, bajanfish said:

LOL! If not for the Tackle Direct videos, I would believe this reel was a figment of my imagination as well. I've held out for a while waiting on this reel but I think I'm going to do like you and go in a different direction.

Try CharkBait on the West Coast.  They move a lot of Okuma products and I've found them to be a good resource.  I have a few Makaira's and they've been helpful.  Good luck.

"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming."

John Steinbeck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, OU812 said:

Try CharkBait on the West Coast.  They move a lot of Okuma products and I've found them to be a good resource.  I have a few Makaira's and they've been helpful.  Good luck.

 

How do you like the Makaira? You don't see too many people with Okuma's in general and I've always wanted to hear real world experiences about them. I know Alan Hawk rated it very highly some years ago, but that was about it. Have you had to deal with Okuma? What is there customer service like, if you have?

 

 

3 hours ago, bellows said:

It’s for sale on Amazon. 
 

 

IMG_8947.jpeg

 

I saw it listed here and on CharkBait. I just find it very very odd that none of the big retailers are carrying them. It makes me wonder if the ones listed on Amazon were display reels or something. TD carries the entire Okuma range but not this. I'm convinced this thing was created in Area 51 or something. At $400 I want to know what I'm getting for the $100 extra over a Saragosa SW. The all aluminum body? It might be totally worth it, but I just don't know!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey banjanfish,

I'm sorry but I can’t speak to that specific reel. The Makairas I own are all convention reels.

Overall, I’ve been pleased with the performance. No complaints.

Okuma never really caught on here in the Northeast but they are a major force on the West coast. I also own a few of their rods and I’d put them up against the more popular NE production brands, never had them fail. I’ve had two Lami’s snap when casting 1.5oz bucktails and I’m done with that company.

The Gosa or Slammer are fine reels. I’d recommend them as well.

I think, in the end, it’s a budget question.

As for customer service, I have not dealt directly with Okuma. I send my reels to CharkBait (I bought them there) for servicing. Again, I have conventionals, not spinners.

Hope this helps.

Edited by OU812

"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming."

John Steinbeck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From Okuma site

Note on the bottom

"Not available for online purchase"
 

Quote

 

Okuma’s new Tesoro Spinning reels have been from the bottom up. These reels are constructed with Okuma’s Alumilite body, side plate, and Cyclonic Flow Rotor construction for the ultimate in strength. With an IPX-7 full-body waterproof design, the Tesoro Spinning reels feature the ultimate in features and protection.

The Tesoro features a 12HPB + 1RB corrosion-resistant stainless-steel bearing drive as well as a carbonite high output DFD drag system with Cal’s drag grease that puts out over 55-pounds of pure fish stopping drag. The reel is built with a custom titanium spool shaft that reduces flex and weight as well as oversized brass main gear and C-6191 brass pinion gear that is double supported with ball bearings. The frictionless main shaft design provides smooth operation day in and day out. The dual anti-reverse system provides maximum strength and reliability. The rigid machined aluminum screw-in handle design provides direct feedback when turning the handle and locks solidly into place. A rotor brake system works in conjunction with the Tesoro’s manual bail trip design.

There are five total models within the Tesoro Spinning reel lineup. A 6,000, 8,000, 10,000, 14,000, 18,000 and 20,000 size. The three smaller sizes feature high-speed gearing at 5.8:1 with retrieval of 49” of line per turn of the handle. The two larger sizes feature 4.4:1 gear ratio and pick up close to 42” of line per handle turn. All models have an interchangeable screw-in handle system that can be changed from left to right-hand retrieve.

 

*Not Available for Online Purchase

 

 

 Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

 

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, canary said:

by A.H: "Okuma necromanced the dead Metaloid for $200 in 2015 with pinion and drive gear(forged!) made of stainless steel".....go to slammer, gosa or spheros!

What language is that :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/20/2024 at 7:04 PM, OU812 said:

Hey banjanfish,

I'm sorry but I can’t speak to that specific reel. The Makairas I own are all convention reels.

Overall, I’ve been pleased with the performance. No complaints.

Okuma never really caught on here in the Northeast but they are a major force on the West coast. I also own a few of their rods and I’d put them up against the more popular NE production brands, never had them fail. I’ve had two Lami’s snap when casting 1.5oz bucktails and I’m done with that company.

The Gosa or Slammer are fine reels. I’d recommend them as well.

I think, in the end, it’s a budget question.

As for customer service, I have not dealt directly with Okuma. I send my reels to CharkBait (I bought them there) for servicing. Again, I have conventionals, not spinners.

Hope this helps.

Yes, this was helpful. Thanks for the response.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...