Saltx vs van staal

Rate this topic

Fadetoblack188

19 mins ago, Rizz1877 said:

It's not a opinion. The was asked If we feel the van staal is worth the heftier price than the saltx. Yes the vsx is not the VR. I judge products based on what they say they can do. So if a reel claims to be fully sealed and it's not, then in its not doing what it's suppose to. If you wanna say something is good but haven't checked to see if it can do what it suppose to then how is that a fair assessment on a product? 

Right the BG does what it's supposed to do and does it well. My BG has been dunked and still performs great so it has exceeded what it's suppose to do, so I consider it a great reel. 

They're not in the same ballpark. A Vr can't do what a vs can.They are compared because they both claim to be fully sealed. Just like zeebass and van staals, they are compared because they claim to do the same things. Same way The saltx is in this conversation. 

If something for you that's great, but it's not the outfit for everybody. 

That is an opinion that you’re saying is not an opinion. Lol

I rest my case on the lack of logic. I give up. 

12 mins ago, EricDice said:

Honestly, again…. How many dudes really need to crank a reel underwater. Need to. Be honest with yourselves. 

Nothing I’m saying is illogical. If the VR were perfectly the same capability & sealing wouldn’t it be the same price as the VSX? Use your right brains & stop being offended. 

Buncha dip$hit mentality here. 

Then honestly how many dudes need a fully sealed reel? Buy something else. Stop trying to look cool with a van staal if you don't need one. 

Doesn't have to be exactly the same as a vs. Obviously the vs has better quality materials, but if you claim something is fully sealed like the VR and it isn't then it's not a good reel. There's allot of reels that can take being dunked. Don't advertise it as something that is not. 

Especially yours!!!!

7 mins ago, EricDice said:

That is an opinion that you’re saying is not an opinion. Lol

I rest my case on the lack of logic. I give up. 

It's not a opinion. Is a vs better than a saltx? Yes!!! Would that be worth it to someone who needs a sealed reel? 

6 mins ago, Rizz1877 said:

It's not a opinion. Is a vs better than a saltx? Yes!!! Would that be worth it to someone who needs a sealed reel? 

That was your 100th post. Congratulations. It’s still an opinion. Unbelievable. 

52 mins ago, Tagman said:

VS claims the VR reel is fully sealed. They also claim the VSX is fully sealed. Where does it say on the VS website that it shouldn’t be cranked underwater?  The common purpose of the VR is to be cranked underwater just like the VSX. 

Ya know why they don’t say anything about the VR sealing? It’s because they are full of sh-t.  

Cmon. You expect the same thing from the same company at a $150-200 less?

I think you know better. Right?

This other guy is spouting nonsense. 

23 mins ago, EricDice said:

I expect what it says it's suppose to do! 

No I didn't expect the same reel obviously 

You should call Craig and ask to put you on a VR ad with your 30 pounder you lost l.

I'm sure you really tested that vr50 with you shoulders falling off. 

Good luck with your vr and probably the only vanstaal you have, im done!!! 

9 mins ago, Rizz1877 said:

You should call Craig and ask to put you on a VR ad with your 30 pounder you lost l.

Does he put us in ads if we ask him?  This would be better than taking fishing selfies, and UTubes!

1 hour ago, Rizz1877 said:

I expect what it says it's suppose to do! 

No I didn't expect the same reel obviously 

I'm sure you really tested that vr50 with you shoulders falling off. 

Good luck with your vr and probably the only vanstaal you have, im done!!! 

Yes, a big fish (for me not “big” by the “pro guide” faction lol) on a bum wing. True story. 

You don’t know $hit about me or what I go through- nor I you. And this ain’t the place. 

———

To reiterate:

An “opinion” is what you’ve been spouting. Unless you wanna still call it facts. Then I would say “alternative facts” and you respond “fake news” and I’ll say:

:wrong:

Fun. But unproductive for a forum site. Check your ego. 

2 hours ago, EricDice said:

Hey Eric, of course I know better.  I know they are not the same reel.  My comments really were not directed at you, and I wasn’t trying to be a wise azz.  My comments were really directed towards the guys on this site claiming the VR’s are just as waterproof as the VSX. And there are a lot of them here on SOL who claim they are equal to the VSX. We both know they are not.

If you read many of my posts, you probably see that I always bashed the VR. Always thought they were not worth the price. Well, I recently bought a new VR75 at a fishing show for a discounted price. The reason I went with the 75 was that I was looking to buy a reel in that size, and was going to go with the new VSX2. After I saw the rotor problems I just lost interest in buying one until the factory gets it right. So my second choice was the VR. Gonna give it shot, lut some time on it and see how it goes. But yeah, it’s no VSX

10 mins ago, Tagman said:

Hey Eric, of course I know better.  I know they are not the same reel.  My comments really were not directed at you, and I wasn’t trying to be a wise azz.  My comments were really directed towards the guys on this site claiming the VR’s are just as waterproof as the VSX. And there are a lot of them here on SOL who claim they are equal to the VSX. We both know they are not.

If you read many of my posts, you probably see that I always bashed the VR. Always thought they were not worth the price. Well, I recently bought a new VR75 at a fishing show for a discounted price. The reason I went with the 75 was that I was looking to buy a reel in that size, and was going to go with the new VSX2. After I saw the rotor problems I just lost interest in buying one until the factory gets it right. So my second choice was the VR. Gonna give it shot, lut some time on it and see how it goes. But yeah, it’s no VSX

Yeah, completely get your view. 

———

Before I got married and met a hot young lady, or one at minimum with a great set of pillows, I used to look at things like:

I can have a great great time without putting my trust in birth control.

——

That’s how I feel about a “fully sealed” fishing reel. 

IMHO - both very good reels, let’s just look at them objectively.

There are 2 reasons why the VSX is more water resistant. 

1: Main shaft sealing - VSX uses a quad seal for the main shaft, whereas a VR uses one oil seal (for references sake, a ZeeBaaS uses dual oil seals facing opposite directions).  The VSX quad seal gets a tighter seal on the main shaft than the one oil seal the VR uses.

2: Rotor area sealing - I believe the main oil seal on the VSX is slightly tighter fitting to the reel compared to the main oil seal on the VR.  (This is what seals the area of the rotor/top of body). Both the VR and VSX use the same style high quality automotive seals here.

Just pick up a new VR175 and then pick up a new VSX200.  You can feel the tighter fitting areas of the two seals I just mentioned.

Reel Comparison

The VR is less expensive, requires less energy to reel, and has a smoother drag with less start-up resistance, has a cheap/inferior line roller, and is lighter.  And now it’s significantly lighter that the new VSX gained weight.  To get acceptable line lay on my VR (it was ridiculously bottom heavy), I had to make a brass rotor shim, and I had to remove the unnecessary shim washer on the traverse guide.  I also had to make my own handle shims to time the reel handle for proper bail-less use.  Now it’s a great reel for non-extreme fishing, IMHO.

The VSX is more expensive, requires more energy to reel, is more water resistant, has a larger main gear, is heavier, has a much better line roller, and has a higher quality anti-reverse bearing, to name a few things. The drag on my most recent one was very sticky. I took the heavy grease off the main shaft where the spool spins and applied oil there.  Then I applied Cal’s Drag grease to the carbon fiber drag washers (That’s 8 areas of contact in the drag stack).  This VSX had level line lay right out of the box. 

Edited by GSB706z
Grammar

5 hours ago, GSB706z said:

IMHO - both very good reels, let’s just look at them objectively.

There are 2 reasons why the VSX is more water resistant. 

1: Main shaft sealing - VSX uses a quad seal for the main shaft, whereas a VR uses one oil seal (for references sake, a ZeeBaaS uses dual oil seals facing opposite directions).  The VSX quad seal gets a tighter seal on the main shaft than the one oil seal the VR uses.

2: Rotor area sealing - I believe the main oil seal on the VSX is slightly tighter fitting to the reel compared to the main oil seal on the VR.  (This is what seals the area of the rotor/top of body). Both the VR and VSX use the same style high quality automotive seals here.

Just pick up a new VR175 and then pick up a new VSX200.  You can feel the tighter fitting areas of the two seals I just mentioned.

Reel Comparison

The VR is less expensive, requires less energy to reel, and has a smoother drag with less start-up resistance, and is lighter.  And now it’s significantly lighter that the new VSX gained weight.  To get acceptable line lay on my VR (it was ridiculously bottom heavy), I had to make a brass rotor shim, and I had to remove the unnecessary shim washer on the traverse guide.  I also had to make my own handle shims to time the reel handle for proper bail-less use.  Now it’s a great reel for non-extreme fishing, IMHO.

The VSX is more expensive, requires more energy to reel, is more water resistant, has a larger main gear, is heavier, and has a higher quality anti-reverse bearing, to name a few things. The drag on my most recent one was very sticky. I took the heavy grease off the main shaft where the spool spins and applied oil there.  Then I applied Cal’s Drag grease to the carbon fiber drag washers (That’s 8 areas of contact in the drag stack).  This VSX had level line lay right out of the box. 

Well done. And while I own & love my VR75,this was always my point:

Can’t buy pay notably less money for commonly described “lesser but capable” VR or saltX product and expect to get a ZB/VS/VSX product. 

———

Such a foolish first-world-problems argument anyway.