Saltx vs van staal

Rate this topic

Fadetoblack188

Guy how’s does the salt x compare to a van staal? I am currently in the market for a new reel. I am using a spin fisher 5500 right now for plugging and soft plastics in a 9’6 rod 

I wouldn’t consider myself a die hard surf caster but do it a decent amount.  Is the van staal that much better then the saltx to spend an extra 400 dollars?

thanks 

Take my comment with a grain of salt, cause I don't actually own a SaltX...For the most part, it seems to be a very capable reel- but I wouldn't dare do with it what I do to my VS.

At the end of the day though, you're the only one that can answer that truthfully. If your fishing consists of a lot of deep wading/swimming or otherwise putting yourself in scenarios where you need max waterproofing, then spring for the VS. If not, go with the SaltX or similar.

Not comparable IMO. I own multiple Staals, VS and VSX and picked up a SaltX when they first hit the market. I can honestly say I only fished the SaltX for a handful of serious trips before giving up on it. It feels flimsy to me, too much play and flex in the design in all the wrong places.  I think it's fair to say I took it fairly easy on my SaltX, compared to how I run the Staals. No swimming or underwater reeling. It did get dunked and sprayed often, conditions any"sealed" reel should withstand. After a few trips it developed a grind on the retrieve and I essentially stopped fishing it after that. After sitting it had fairly obvious signs of oil/grease penetration through the gaskets and the main body of the reel but I haven't been bothered to pop it open or send it in for service.

My buddy who tried to go the SaltX route bent out the handle on his 4k while fighting a slot fish and had a complete failure/reel lockup on the 6K while trying to pressure a large fish out of current and structure. He has since gone the VS route.

If I wasn't consistently dunking my reels, swimming or taking heavy spray and I couldn't justify spending VS money I would pick up a quality Shimano or Daiwa, along the lines of the Gosa. If you are fishing heavy surf and value a "sealed" reel than a true VS is the way to go. I wouldn't bother considering the SaltX, VR or any of the other advertised as sealed options on the market. Buy once, cry once.

Edited by Sandbar1

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

There have been lots of issues with the saltx and the reels aren’t as air tight as the van staals.

some people get good salt x and love them, but I know almost as many people who’ve received reels with qc problems -like poorly machined spools, bad gears, leaking seals etc.

when you buy a Vs you get a much more solid, reliable reel with a higher quality assurance

if I was you I’d buy a used VS or VSX on the BST forum here, they generally run around $400-500 in good to new condition, and if you ship around you can find them tight around $400, which is only like $100 more than the salt x

I have 3 saltx reels, 2 4000 and 1 6000. I don’t use the 6000 now mostly because I have 3 vr150s and like them better than the Saltx 6000. The Saltx 4000s are a different story. Van Staal doesn’t make a comparable VR in that size. Are they comparable to a VS, no. Are they comparable to a VR, in performance yes, with a slightly less refined finish.   I think that they are a great reel for 8-9’ rod with 20lb line for beach and back bay fishing. If you like a bail, the Saltx comes with a bail like the VR, while a VS with a bail is around $900. I have caught some over slots and lots of slots with the Saltx 4000 and love the light weight, good drag and the ability to drop it in the sand or water while releasing fish. Would I go swimming with it and crank under water. NO. But I don’t do that type of fishing. Lets face it, few of us do. I also have had 4 5500/6500 spinfishers, that except that the gears wear out (but are inexpensiva and easy to replace),  are heavy, but are great reels for most. The Saltx is a nice step up. I bought 2 of my Saltx reels on the buy/sell forum for $300 @, both were like new. VSs have better seals, are undoubtedly more durable but also have issues. I keep hearing about anti reverse issues in the VS so nothing is perfect. 

Edited by fishing bum wannabe

“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” 

― Mark Twain

I have both and I like both.  The VS would be my first choice for super rough use like skishing, climbing boulders and smashing it up a bit but the Saltx is a fine reel for the money. I’ve reeled it underwater with no issues.  It has a very strong drag and casts fine.  It’s comfortable too.  I like it. It’s not a VS but it is half the price!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2023 at 7:37 PM, Evil-Bay said:

Saltx is no where near the level of a Van Staal VSX or even a VR.

The Saltx is more in line with a Slammer 3/4 and Saragosa SW.

I think you’re right on that point … with a Penn Slammer 5500 being the closer comparison. Pricing & sealing / features are comparable, but with the SaltX 6K a good 4 ounces lighter.

RockfishOn!! :cool:

On 4/12/2023 at 5:55 PM, fishing bum wannabe said:

I have 3 saltx reels, 2 4000 and 1 6000. I don’t use the 6000 now mostly because I have 3 vr150s and like them better than the Saltx 6000. The Saltx 4000s are a different story. Van Staal doesn’t make a comparable VR in that size. Are they comparable to a VS, no. Are they comparable to a VR, in performance yes, with a slightly less refined finish.   I think that they are a great reel for 8-9’ rod with 20lb line for beach and back bay fishing. If you like a bail, the Saltx comes with a bail like the VR, while a VS with a bail is around $900. I have caught some over slots and lots of slots with the Saltx 4000 and love the light weight, good drag and the ability to drop it in the sand or water while releasing fish. Would I go swimming with it and crank under water. NO. But I don’t do that type of fishing. Lets face it, few of us do. I also have had 4 5500/6500 spinfishers, that except that the gears wear out (but are inexpensiva and easy to replace),  are heavy, but are great reels for most. The Saltx is a nice step up. I bought 2 of my Saltx reels on the buy/sell forum for $300 @, both were like new. VSs have better seals, are undoubtedly more durable but also have issues. I keep hearing about anti reverse issues in the VS so nothing is perfect. 

:agree:

RockfishOn!! :cool:

6 hours ago, Googs said:

I wouldn't bring anything tsunami to the surf. 

I’ve had an airwave elite 8’8” for years and love it. I recently passed it on to the son of a friend, and after 6 years of abuse by me, it is going strong in the hands of a teenager. I sometimes regret giving it away. I have a number of friends that have the 9’6” and they have no plans to replace them. They have also been catching a lot of above slot fish to 50 inches with them without breakage. There’s a lot of Tsunami gear out there catching fish and I don’t hear a lot of actual problems, no more so than any other brands.

I have had Saltx reels since they came out and for fishing out of the boat, fishing backbays and beaches they have been flawless. Other than a slightly better finish, I don’t see a lot of difference between a VR and the Saltx. And I like the manual bails. Never had the bail snap shut during a cast.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” 

― Mark Twain

1 hour ago, fishing bum wannabe said:

I’ve had an airwave elite 8’8” for years and love it. I recently passed it on to the son of a friend, and after 6 years of abuse by me, it is going strong in the hands of a teenager. I sometimes regret giving it away. I have a number of friends that have the 9’6” and they have no plans to replace them. They have also been catching a lot of above slot fish to 50 inches with them without breakage. There’s a lot of Tsunami gear out there catching fish and I don’t hear a lot of actual problems, no more so than any other brands.

I have had Saltx reels since they came out and for fishing out of the boat, fishing backbays and beaches they have been flawless. Other than a slightly better finish, I don’t see a lot of difference between a VR and the Saltx. And I like the manual bails. Never had the bail snap shut during a cast.

It's just not my cup of tea or suits my style of fishing but happy to hear to your enjoying it. 

Really cool you hooked the kid up!!! 

Edited by Googs

Get the VR if you’re looking in that range for that kinda option. I’m very happy with my VR75. It’s not that different in price if new. But… for slightly more you could get a new or possibly used vs/VSX. (I’m not a bailless fan myself though.)

Pound for pound, value & serviceability- Spheros SW. (Or the Saragosa.) I only have the VR because of weight savings due to neck & shoulder issues as well as a perfectly timed class action check. 

And another big thumbs up for Tsunami rods.