Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeStaten

Best early season lures???

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Both the clam lure and the calico crab lure are two of my favorites early on. The bunker lure in both chunk and head style are also favorites when large are present.

Anyone else notice that tackle shops always stock more of the chunk style lures than the heads? Probably 5 or 6 chunk lures for every head style they carry. Why is that?

Squidlips, I was told to fish a bunker head while at the Hook once. i thought the bait guy was going to follow me to the water and laugh his ass off while I hurled this GIGANTIC fish head into the surf. Never knew if he was being serious though. But Ill never tell whether or not I tried it. Damn things are heavy, I mean they look heavy.

Yeah, those chunk lures are easyier to fish than the head style and they also seem to bring more strikes, but if you have the patience and want to target the bigger fish, I would go with the head style.

The silver with clear and shiny eyes is a good one.

I have caught several nice fish this season, with half of them taking a black swimmer at night, such as the Megabait 5 1/2" ghost and black Yozuri darter (Tim's got 'em). The other half took the "Thirty Pounder" deceiver swimming in front of the plug.

I'm sure bait works as good or better, but I just avoid using the stuff if I can hook up with a plug.

[This message has been edited by Wayne Tj (edited 04-24-2001).]

During the early season April-May I like to concentrate on the Back Bays where water temps are warmer.My go to in these areas is a 3/8oz kastmaster with white or green tube. You will have to take the treble and bucktail off and put the tube on yourself.My second go to would be 3/8oz lead head with 3"brown and silver slugo.Bucktails are also always a go to.

------------------

Bill Wetzel NYS Licensed Guide

For two spring seasons in a row the chicken scratch bomber seems to be doing better than anything else. Who knows about this year. Nothing ever seems to stay the same with fishing.

In the inlets, slow water, when stripers are chasing herring: Fin-S, shad body, jointed bomber.

In rougher water: bucktails with a scented curlytail or pork rind (under a wooden egg on the beach, a litle later), Kastmasters, Hopkins.

I'm really becoming a believer in the soft plastics. Two 28" and two fat 30" on Fin-S and shad bodies in this past week have gotten me off to a joyous start to the 2001 season.

Wayne, they really like them 30#er teasers...its one of my teaser "flavors" that I'm very fond of smile.gif Wait till the big weakfish see it, you can't beat 'em off with a custom Lami wink.gif

Early season it's flies and small jigs fer me...and teasers. I don't start throwing plugs locally until I hit the suds in very late April/early May.

So Squidlips, do these chunk and head lures come in any other colors? I thought I remembered seeing some with red eyes? wink.gif

TimS