IF you are having trouble logging in or staying logged in ×

Shad 2023

Rate this topic

Well, pleasant suprise for me!  They're here in Western Mass guys.    Been seeing these guys jump around for about a week now.  Got 2 last night, and 3 this am..  I love it because the Stripers are right behind them!!  Woo hoo April 4th is the earliest I've caught these.  Love the fight. Fun as always.  

IMG_3912.JPG

21 hours ago, stifftip said:

How far up the river are you.   Can you see the dam ? Btw this is really early 

Yea this is my earliest to date on these fellas.. usually it is still locked up with snow and nice this time of year.   All I can say is Springfield MA area to answer your question.

I make my flutter spoons with long Aberdeen hooks as it gives them weight towards the tail. Easy to tune the “flutter” action by bending the shank slightly up from the back of the willow leaf. 

Ditch Troll #338

-Tight Lines

Never caught one and have aways wanted to. My car was rear ended on 495 and it appears I won't be able to splash the kayak for at least a month. I don't have any reason to not try, Anywhere local to buy willow leaves?

6 mins ago, Joser said:

Never caught one and have aways wanted to. My car was rear ended on 495 and it appears I won't be able to splash the kayak for at least a month. I don't have any reason to not try, Anywhere local to buy willow leaves?

Not sure where local is for you - but Surfland has a good supply of shad offerings.  And not sure if they still carry them, but Natick Outdoor use to carry a shad dart/flutter spoon tandem rig. 

On the flip side, I've never caught an american shad on a spinning rod (I'm not a hardcore fly guy, but shad are one of the species on my list of fish I'd prefer to target on fly only)...I have caught hickory shad on spinning gear, as a by catch (I do target them intentionally with the fly)

13 mins ago, Joser said:

If you are planning to fish the Merrimack, I am willing to give a handful as I have a large stash at the moment.

10 mins ago, Blugill said:

If you are planning to fish the Merrimack, I am willing to give a handful as I have a large stash at the moment.

More than willing to pay ya for them! I do plan on trying the Merrimack as its my home turf.