'23 Chu thread

Rate this topic

bob_G

22 hours ago, unskunk said:

could that be a trout juvi ?

I'm pretty sure that one is a salmon but there are sometimes browns mixed in. On the one I posted above note the forked tail, large pectoral fins, and black spots only above the lateral line. It's also not impossible that it has some brown trout DNA in it somewhere. I have caught wild tiger trout out of that tributary which means that the fish are competing for spawning ground.

Here are some other picture of juvenile LLS from res tributaries

c1_20231126_12013991.jpeg.df925700c34b391b7eeaf2cf21faa44e.jpeg

c1_20231126_12002356.jpeg.bb6e4cbb53b753cd23ff4dd6c3683ccb.jpeg

Bonus: here is a true native landlocked salmon from far away river

c1_20231127_10172100.jpeg.e7ee60d5c8587df55204bc63545753be.jpeg

On 11/26/2023 at 1:39 AM, bob_G said:

Anyone else catching juvi LLs?

There seems to be no shortage of juvi lakers.  So we know about their status.  

I live a half-mile from the river and fish it a ton. I don't fish the spawn and agree on closure during the spawn, but regularly catch salmon parr at other times of year. They're fairly aggressive and if I hook one there are almost always others in the same spot. That said, if they're banging my fly, I move on to another spot for the same reason I don't fish the spawn.

Edited by pescatore

The ghosts are rattling at the door

6 hours ago, bob_G said:

A Chu FYI.

From here on out it's deer season.  Wear some hunter orange to be seen.

Ever since they opened up the rez for shotgun season I've been out there and heard shotguns firing. As long as one stays on the main trails, and wears orange, they should be safe.

Had to christen the new resy fishing season....my biggest 'runt' laker this fall!

Caught another smaller one Monday, 140 side.

(still wondering what they took away....we never get anything from Gov. w/o consequences?)

Edited by bb1
mispelling

"The Further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

On 11/27/2023 at 11:21 PM, zak-striper said:

Ever since they opened up the rez for shotgun season I've been out there and heard shotguns firing. As long as one stays on the main trails, and wears orange, they should be safe.

They can't hunt between the resy & the road....so there's no fear for fishermen.

"The Further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

On 12/1/2023 at 6:47 PM, bb1 said:

They can't hunt between the resy & the road....so there's no fear for fishermen.

There is or was a special permit hunt on wachusett proper land. That included lands off rt 110 in between the shoreline and road. 

On 12/4/2023 at 8:35 AM, WorcBoy said:

There is or was a special permit hunt on wachusett proper land. That included lands off rt 110 in between the shoreline and road. 

That would be interesting to know?

I heard 2 slug shots yesterday around dusk, from the 110 side....but it sounded well on the other side of the road?

NO fish by the way....it's a very slow fall/winter season.

1 min ago, bb1 said:

That would be interesting to know?

I heard 2 slug shots yesterday around dusk, from the 110 side....but it sounded well on the other side of the road?

NO fish by the way....it's a very slow fall/winter season.

I don't think the  DCR is doing the special hunt reservoir proper any longer. But the area across rt110 is  DCR 5 year permit areas.