'23 Chu thread

Rate this topic

bob_G

Guess I will start. Casted from 9 to dark yesterday. Fished small metal and spinners and concentrated on top 10 feet of water column. Took a real nice rainbow I would guess 3 to 3.5 pounds and one salmon about 16 inches. Salmon was an absolute football. Had one other solid hit and failed to connect. Over course of day of casting and traveling it seemed most bait guys had a few lakers. 

7 hours ago, Lakertaker said:

Guess I will start. Casted from 9 to dark yesterday. Fished small metal and spinners and concentrated on top 10 feet of water column. Took a real nice rainbow I would guess 3 to 3.5 pounds and one salmon about 16 inches. Salmon was an absolute football. Had one other solid hit and failed to connect. Over course of day of casting and traveling it seemed most bait guys had a few lakers. 

:th:Good to hear, I have fished freshwater 4 times this year with only 1 bite to show for all my casting:eek:

First time out yesterday for a few hours....kind of lethargic, no jumps.

Strange because the stock Rainbows last week were flying!

1 2023.jpeg

"The Further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

I know Ive brought this up before, but has anyone tried fresh chunk bait for lakers?

My neighbor's nephew is Frank Ragnow,  center Detroit Lions.  Frank is an avid freshwater fisherman, and has a huge fishing/hunting lodge in Canada on some giant lake.

They fish for big lakers all the time, and the bait of choice is fresh chunk sucker. Either on a heavy jig, vertically jigged from a boat, or on the bottom from shore. They frequently catch fish 20lbs.   

Might be worth a try.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Fished both Saturday and Sunday till around noon both days. 2 day total was 11 lakers and one decent smallmouth between the 2 of us. All on shiners. 2 of the lakers were at least 4 lbs. All fish looked healthy with nice bellys on them.  No luck with the limited time we spent casting lures. Typical opening weekend fish wise. Crowds werent bad where we fished. Didnt encounter any rangers which was unusual for opening weekend. 

16 hours ago, bob_G said:

I know Ive brought this up before, but has anyone tried fresh chunk bait for lakers?

My neighbor's nephew is Frank Ragnow,  center Detroit Lions.  Frank is an avid freshwater fisherman, and has a huge fishing/hunting lodge in Canada on some giant lake.

They fish for big lakers all the time, and the bait of choice is fresh chunk sucker. Either on a heavy jig, vertically jigged from a boat, or on the bottom from shore. They frequently catch fish 20lbs.   

Might be worth a try.

A few decades ago there were a couple old timers who fished the Quabbin from shore using big dead bait on the bottom, casted with surf gear, early season.  I believe they used to walk in from gate 16.  I'm sure it would work at the 'Chu.   A few years back fishing the 'Chu, I carried in some fresh dead shiners as I was walking in about as far as you can walk and didn't want to carry a bait bucket of water.  I did ok with dead bait.  Big lakers don't mind scavenging.

Edited by clambellies

So far I have logged in 16 hours of fishing and my tally is 2 salmon, 1 smallmouth, 5 Lakers, and 8 rainbows. The rainbows are absolutely stacked on a stretch I was fishing. They appear to be stocked though which is funny because they never put in on the stocking report. I'm back out after work again.

I was there between 2pm-4pm on Monday. WINDY!!!!!

couldn't fish my normal stretch. Tucked into a cove, ended up with 1 18" laker on a spoon. Solid hook up with the single inline hook and an easy release, chunky guy.

I got wind burn, lol.

Picked up a couple nip bottles and some plastic bags. 

lakerlure.jpg

chu flowers.jpg

churod.jpg

Edited by WorcBoy

I made my '23 debut at the 'Chu yesterday. I had a lot of firsts.

My first tick on my clothing of the year. My first 'Chu fish of the year. My first double digit outing of the year. My first "hello" with a DCR ranger of the year. And many aches & pains today after my first day of mountain goating around the rez.

Unfortunately, the nearby bait & tackle shop ran out of shiners so I had to throw lures only. I fished the last 4 hours or so of daylight. That 12-15mph wind was gusting pretty hard into the area I was fishing so I was limited to what I could throw, mostly 3/4 or 1 oz metals.

For the 1st 3+ hours, I had to grind out the outing, throwing lots of heavy metal. I landed 3 decent lakers. I had 2 or 3 more come off. I had a few more hits sprinkled in between.

And then sunset came.

Like flipping a switch, a decent outing that I was already happy with, especially without bait, turned into stupid fishing.

A bunch of lakers started cruising into the shallows at sunset.  I caught at least 6 more lakers within 15-20 minutes. I was getting hits or hooking up on just about every cast. I got a couple of nice ones in the 4-5lb range. A couple of 3 lbers. And some dink sized ones. 

When I got back to my car, about 50 minutes after sunset, a DCR ranger showed up to make sure I was leaving. He asked how my outing was then took off to the next gate.

See, opening day isn't worth it. I caught about 10 fish 2 days later, while getting a good night's sleep and not having to deal with opening day googans.

Always check your clothing at the 'Chu

20230403_143550.jpg.141ebb846cd7497e3a2410d60fc7ce3e.jpg

Some scenery while I was hiking around the rez.

20230403_142009.jpg.a36c91ee2049d42f7c95f185dc0a5a20.jpg

20230403_142809.jpg.863f92a318ce01e579a68e29fc374ba3.jpg

Some of my better fish from the  day.

20230403_191041.jpg.e3477af0765548a4a2f3055ee82ca667.jpg

20230403_171842.jpg.6449d054647fedb9f3bf193623410e0d.jpg

20230403_160014.jpg.749c70b42787d595356a7a68dc999715.jpg

Edited by zak-striper