Border Water Line Side Arrival

Rate this topic

• 2 weeks later...
31 mins ago, James Browne said:

April but every year is different.  Some bait moving around now but I’d always recommend getting any other responsibilities in life taken care of and wait till it’s good.  It’ll be pretty obvious when it really gets going.  Best luck

My responsibilities are all out of alignment?! I’ll fit in the fishing at night, and dedicate time to family and chores first and foremost. No rest for the wicked! 
I have a new job that takes me across multiple bridges on the Piscataqua each day. Looking better and better. I was surprised how good it was mid May last year. Bumped into someone who said he had a decent school all to himself the week before. Here’s hoping! 

8 hours ago, Pearl Bomber said:

My responsibilities are all out of alignment?! I’ll fit in the fishing at night, and dedicate time to family and chores first and foremost. No rest for the wicked! 
I have a new job that takes me across multiple bridges on the Piscataqua each day. Looking better and better. I was surprised how good it was mid May last year. Bumped into someone who said he had a decent school all to himself the week before. Here’s hoping! 

No way if family’s first then you’ve got your responsibilities on point.  I just hate seeing people grind hard in early May for a few fish and then get caught up in house projects in June.  
Man I miss fishing nights!  So peaceful and great fishing.  But between kids and getting up at 3am everyday to guide I very rarely get out to fish the night (except for setting up early on the tuna).  My magnolia tree just started blooming today so can’t be more than a couple weeks before the real bait starts pushing!

4 hours ago, James Browne said:

No way if family’s first then you’ve got your responsibilities on point.  I just hate seeing people grind hard in early May for a few fish and then get caught up in house projects in June.  
Man I miss fishing nights!  So peaceful and great fishing.  But between kids and getting up at 3am everyday to guide I very rarely get out to fish the night (except for setting up early on the tuna).  My magnolia tree just started blooming today so can’t be more than a couple weeks before the real bait starts pushing!

Magnolia already? Wow, must be a star magnolia. What state are you in? I have a magnolia grove if a half dozen varieties and the buds are just starting to swell. I’ve always  said when lilacs and rhodora are in full bloom the fishing getting good! 

16 hours ago, Pearl Bomber said:

Magnolia already? Wow, must be a star magnolia. What state are you in? I have a magnolia grove if a half dozen varieties and the buds are just starting to swell. I’ve always  said when lilacs and rhodora are in full bloom the fishing getting good! 

Seems like not many of us left that pay attention to nature’s signals!  No disrespect to those folks that enjoy using online migration maps, but I’ll stick with looking at the plants and the water.

I live on a tributary on the Maine side of the river.  My Magnolia is only 5 years old and still small, but a few buds started breaking open.  The other 4 houses in my neighborhood have much older more established ones that are really starting to pop.

83DB4F5E-2469-42B3-AD69-648357B974EC.jpeg.4719b202ddc0d44b4291b0cba59413ab.jpeg

B6BC6324-8E55-4D52-805B-3B1BBE85AACA.jpeg.d15477982c30da50146b5972a4c38236.jpeg

15 hours ago, James Browne said:

Seems like not many of us left that pay attention to nature’s signals!  No disrespect to those folks that enjoy using online migration maps, but I’ll stick with looking at the plants and the water.

I live on a tributary on the Maine side of the river.  My Magnolia is only 5 years old and still small, but a few buds started breaking open.  The other 4 houses in my neighborhood have much older more established ones that are really starting to pop.

83DB4F5E-2469-42B3-AD69-648357B974EC.jpeg.4719b202ddc0d44b4291b0cba59413ab.jpeg

B6BC6324-8E55-4D52-805B-3B1BBE85AACA.jpeg.d15477982c30da50146b5972a4c38236.jpeg

Those reports and migration maps are a marketing gimmick and joke. I have mixed feelings about that concept of “fishing community” to generate income and sell ad revenue, but it’s America and to each their own. Social media burn is a heck of a lot worse. Canal is way different now and will likely never be the same post social media. 
I’ve always thought is it better to observe and enjoy nature and get skunked then to have a website tell me 30 pound bass have moved in and get skunked. Somehow you feel ripped off and cheated if that is your info stream…

Edited by Pearl Bomber

I'm guessing I live near James, and also have spent decades getting my spots and timing down. I'll cede the spots listed on OTW, KTP, etc to the spot chasers. I have a few places that give me relative solitude and a chance at some fish and that's all I need. Today was swap the snowblower for the mower day, tomorrow is chainsaw day, then I'll head north for some trout and bass while I rebuild my dock. Then striper time! Skunked this morning though, but beautiful out there.

Edited by stormy monday

4 hours ago, stormy monday said:

I'm guessing I live near James, and also have spent decades getting my spots and timing down. I'll cede the spots listed on OTW, KTP, etc to the spot chasers. I have a few places that give me relative solitude and a chance at some fish and that's all I need. Today was swap the snowblower for the mower day, tomorrow is chainsaw day, the I'll head north for some trout and bass while I rebuild my dock. Then striper time! Skunked this morning though, but beautiful out there.

I’m very excited, as I have a new job that has me in Eliot a few days a week. Hopefully I’ll meet more folks on the banks. Cheers