Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NEMO

Dental Works-Staten Island

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I used to fish the "Dental Works" beach in Staten Island when I was younger. Does anyone know if you're still able to fish this area? If so is the fishing still as good as it was?

Nemo

Are you referring to S.S. Whites (our local term)? If you are, yes I fish there often. Ussally bait is almost always present. But it still is a hit or miss spot. It does and can produce a few large. Just like any spot timing can be everything. It can at times get busy when word gets out because of a few loose lips. The beach itself is kinda' roomy but only a few select spots will produce while the guy next to you gets skunked. These "sweet" spots can really only accomadate 4/5 fishermen. But if the fish are crusing and being egressive (likely blues) than the whole beach will produce. Some nice weeks have been takin' there in the last 2 seasons. Fluke can be sporatic at times (look for snappers/spearing). Both of these baits are very good producers there. If you have any ferther questions let me know. I will try to help ya'~~~~~~ Ltspruce cwm35.gif

SS Whites is now a construction zone. I have no idea what's going on in there. But yes, that spot produces many fish! Weaks, blues and Stripahs! Usually good just left of the pilings and just right of the rock bar, very deep water with a ledge about 100 yards out.. Nice spot.. Caught most of my fish there last year.. Also, down in front of the pond is a great plugging spot.. But as LT Spruce mentioned, it's a well known spot. I know when guys buy bait from Fred's, they tell them to go there. But they keep the really good spots to themselves. Luckily, KDOGG has been able to get some of that INFORMATION...

ErikT

As of right now, very popular spot to hit the suds. The construction going on there is for some homes that will be built on the old SS White property. Once the homes are built, I hope you will still be able to get onto the beach to fish it. There used to be many places to fish in the Annadale / Huegenot area along Hylan Blvd but that was before they put up the very expensive homes down there. Hopefully this will not be the case when the homes on built on the old SS White property.

Bill

ErikT, do you mean down infront of Wolfe,s Pond? I never tried down that far. Usually stay closer to the point or by the old pilings. I'm thinking about hitting this spot next week, what do you think? Too early?

Nemo

That whole stretch of beach, from the creek to the pond, is good.Just a question of where the fish are. The nice thing about it is that there is deep water not far offshore.There are some nice rock strewn flats that end in deeper water.

As for the construction the site was declared a superfund site years ago .It was contaminated with mercury from the dental works. To clean it up they had to remove all the contaminated soil and truck it away to special dump sites. Once those houses,actually townhouses are built you can probalby say good bye to that spot for fishing. Either there won't be any parking available or the no parking signs will go up.It seems to be happening all along the south shore . It Sucks!!!!

Unfortunely it seems that this new species of being that is moving onto Staten Island is very unfriendly towards other members of the same species.They actively,and very aggressively, protect their limited parking spaces. In other neighborhoods they have broken car windows, stickered cars or had them towed away from "their parking spots".HArd to believe but true.

Check out the article on noreast.com this guy gives up a some good spots cwm23.gif and some not so good but if I see him out there gonna have to teach him the gag rule LOLhammer-time.gif.............wink.gifJohn

Johnny I haven't been able to get to the thread but I hope you are joking. I think maybe we'll hafta' take this guy for a ride and teach him some manners.rolleyes.gif But all kidding around these loose lips are at times out of hand. I don't mind sharing alittle info but not with 400,000 people. For me I feel like it's kinda like cheating. I feel everyone should do there homework. Sorta' like a fair weather fan, only wants to participate when the going is good and is afraid to do the leg work to get there. This is where I feel the e-mail system should be used. Yes there are exceptions to certain locations but in some cases not everyone can "fit" in such locations. Well enough of the rant. Please don't anyone take serious offence, this is just my opinion (and the majority of the locals wink.gif ). Well I said enough for the day and good luck if anyone fishes there next week. ~~~~~~~ Ltspruce.

Have to agree with JohnnySI about the article on noreast.com. All the spots he talks about are well known BUT does he have to give exact details on how to get the the best spots at these areas on the INTERNET. Got to use a little more common sense when it comes to this stuff.

Bill