XFlock on Pliers?

Rate this topic

Mack26

16 hours ago, Mack26 said:

Can you recommend a brand of epoxy? And how do you apply it?

I currently use Z-Poxy 30 minute but I’ve had good results with other brands as well.

30 minute gives you plenty of working time.

The trick is to put enough epoxy on the wraps so that it soaks in.

Then, wipe off enough of it so that the fibers of the cord are exposed.

If you don’t wipe off some of the epoxy, the wraps will have a finish that’ll be too smooth and you’ll lose the non-slip qualities that you’re after.

I apply the epoxy with an old toothbrush and wipe off the excess with another one.

But I’ve also used  inexpensive acid brushes, paper towels and even my finger protected by a rubber glove to apply the epoxy and to remove the excess.

Getting the excess off really is the key to getting a good non slip grip.

It’s easier than you think and the grip will probably outlast the pliers.

You’ll need a grinder if you ever want to remove it, LOL 

6 mins ago, valentine said:

I currently use Z-Poxy 30 minute but I’ve had good results with other brands as well.

30 minute gives you plenty of working time.

The trick is to put enough epoxy on the wraps so that it soaks in.

Then, wipe off enough of it so that the fibers of the cord are exposed.

If you don’t wipe off some of the epoxy, the wraps will have a finish that’ll be too smooth and you’ll lose the non-slip qualities that you’re after.

I apply the epoxy with an old toothbrush and wipe off the excess with another one.

But I’ve also used  inexpensive acid brushes, paper towels and even my finger protected by a rubber glove to apply the epoxy and to remove the excess.

Getting the excess off really is the key to getting a good non slip grip.

It’s easier than you think and the grip will probably outlast the pliers.

You’ll need a grinder if you ever want to remove it, LOL 

Great info Valentine, thanks!

22 hours ago, Mack26 said:

Maybe, but the Flatlander sheath is VS specific and pliers fit extremely tight in it. I’ll have to mess around with them and figure it out… or just cry and buy VS.

Maybe a less extreme option than spending $400 for pliers that fit your sheath, you could buy a sheath that fits your pliers.  

On 3/27/2023 at 4:50 PM, Mack26 said:

So, i’ve never spent a ton on good saltwater pliers, and usually get a couple of seasons out them before replacing them. I just bought a pair of Krok pliers, and they seem very slick in hand, like they might become slippery with a little water or slime on them. Have you guys ever used XFlock on pliers? I’m concerned that adding to the thickness around the grips would make the not fit in my Flatlander sheath. Anyone do it, or have another way to remedy this?

spray on rhino liner....a few coats.....helps a bit.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

Hi Mack, I have Jamie's sheath with 7" VS pliers. I'm very happy with the fit. I purchased his gear late last fall...:th::th:

On 3/27/2023 at 5:57 PM, Mack26 said:

Maybe, but the Flatlander sheath is VS specific and pliers fit extremely tight in it. I’ll have to mess around with them and figure it out… or just cry and buy VS.

Still have my pliers after :headscratch: abought 20 years. The only time it hurt, was replacing the cutter and anvil at a cost of fifty something dollars back then. When I tried to cut a 5/0 treble I drove thru the palm of my hand. They are not made to cut anything other than braid or mono, and they do that well. But I still trim knots with nail clippers..:laugh:

P4050532.JPG.8002c160de4664521fc7bdcdcd54f8f2.JPG

On 3/27/2023 at 7:19 PM, chisler said:

Put the xflock on them. The stuff has about 1 mm wall thickness. It works well.  I've put it on a pair of Premio OS pliers after seeing another member's photos, and I like it much better than bare metal.

Maybe two layers will do the trick....

On 3/28/2023 at 7:42 AM, Mack26 said:

I just ordered some XFlok on Amazon and are picking up shrink tubing at HD today and will try one on each handle to see which i like better.

I think with the use of the X Flox with twin under it to meet your needs you will be able to change the diameter of the plier grips to anything you want. You will have to judge what you need to achieve the fit you want.

Here is the use of some rope when the handle broke on my cast net bucket...

P4050531.JPG.93c012ff836a7dbd9f015dd7b1ee221b.JPG

21 hours ago, mike1010 said:

Lots of good ideas here.  I wrap plier handles and other stuff with tarred seine cord:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00689GIDA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you like I will trace a template of the pliers onto cardboard and mail it to you. So you can see by design if increasing the handle diameter will work for you.

Take care

Lou T

Edited by Lou T

2 mins ago, Lou T said:

Hi Mack, I have Jamie's sheath with 7" VS pliers. I'm very happy with the fit. I purchased his gear late last fall...:th::th:

Still have my pliers after :headscratch: abought 20 years. The only time it hurt, was replacing the cutter and anvil at a cost of fifty something dollars back then. When I tried to cut a 5/0 treble I drove thru the palm of my hand. They are not made to cut anything other than braid or mono, and they do that well. But I still trim knots with nail clippers..:laugh:

P4050532.JPG.8002c160de4664521fc7bdcdcd54f8f2.JPG

Maybe two layers will do the trick....

I think with the use of the X Flox with twin to meet your needs you will be able to change the diameter of the plier grips to anything you want. You will have to judge what you need to achieve the fit you want.

Here is the use of some rope when the handle broke on my cast net bucket...

P4050531.JPG.93c012ff836a7dbd9f015dd7b1ee221b.JPG

If you like I will trace a template of the pliers onto cardboard and mail it to you. So you can see by design if increasing the handle diameter will work for you.

Take care

Lou T

Awesome gesture Lou, thank you! I got the XFlox coming today by Amazon, so i’m gonna mess with that first and see how it feels. I’m gonna put some white hockey tape on first and then the XFlox over it. I’ve been putting off VS pliers, but it may be time.…. could you maybe talk to the wife for me?! :beatin:

1 min ago, Mack26 said:

Awesome gesture Lou, thank you! I got the XFlox coming today by Amazon, so i’m gonna mess with that first and see how it feels. I’m gonna put some white hockey tape on first and then the XFlox over it. I’ve been putting off VS pliers, but it may be time.…. could you maybe talk to the wife for me?! :beatin:

:laugh:  Your on your own there Mack

Good Luck

Lou

52 mins ago, Mack26 said:

Lets see some project photos later; before / after