Foot gear question for the canal.

Rate this topic

Nomad1999

I have very wide feet which severely limits my footwear choices generally, and makes it nearly impossible to find specialized footwear like wading boots and the like. So I've been forced to get creative and try a bunch of different options. 

Last year I tried Yaktrax walking cleats over my hiking boots - this provided some improvement of grip on the seaweed and on the slimy rocks, but not a ton. Advantage is I can take them off when I'm walking on the access road and put them on when im going down in to the rocks. I think more agressive spikey cleats would definitely be better in weedy areas. While this helped, it didnt make me a whole lot more confident. 

This year I am taking an old pair of hiking boots and screwing these special HVAC screws in to the cleats just to see how that works. This would stick out about 3/8ths of an inch from the bottom of the boot. One of the guys i met fishing there last year recommended this solution, and I think it might end up costing like $5 in total. If that doesnt work I'll try to see if the korkers sandals work. 

If you want to go the Korkers route I know Red Top sells them - or at least they did the last time I was there. 

12 hours ago, Patinthehat said:

I also hike up north and that is what brought me to purchase my first pair several years ago. After a few seasons I got a new pair and used the old ones for wading on rocks, the canal, steep river banks etc...

I have also used a new pair only for fishing for a year then used the spikes to do the Mt Lafayette loop late fall. They were ok, really barely adequate. Had to use my real crampons going down Lafayette towards the greenleaf hut until the treeline. 

They are ok for anything but steep bare ice but I would stick to using an older pair for fishing if you're able. Pavement and jetties beat the **** out of them. 

yeah, that was my experience as well. Rock in particular seems to rely do a number on them. funny enough I ended up replacing them with larger crampons too because they don't grip real nasty ice very well, so I don't mind being the up on the rocks, but I found that carbide studs in wading boots grip the wet, slippery rocks better than the micro spikes, so they're kinds in limbo, where crampons are better on ice and carbide studs are better on wet rocks, so for now they stay in my car for when I need to walk down my icy driveway lol

On 3/28/2023 at 11:51 AM, ArcticRanger said:

Having spent a season landing on my ass on the rocks every trip, I would never fish the canal without studded boots again. Buy cheap wading boots on amazon (Duck and Fish brand has been great for me), neoprene socks, and a pack of 3/8" Kold kutter studs. Now you are all set for under $100. I guarantee you will never fish without them again. 

You definitely do not NEED Korkers. I am 65, I have a summer house on the Cape, and while I don't fish the Canal regularly, I fish it enough to get familiar with it. There are plenty of spots where you can fish in sneakers/hikers (which I almost always use) without being in a dangerous situation. You need to scout out your spots so you can reach them without sliding on slippery rocks (seaweed mostly) and reaching a fish should you hook up. I don't do a lot of night fishing (which is usually much better) but there is generally enough ambient light to make out where you are walking. I usually fish when the tides are higher so I don't have to scamper over a lot of rip rap. I have also used boots from cut-down hip waders. I also use my Wading boots with neoprene water socks ... contemplating getting a 2nd pair (Cabela's Lightweight for under $75 ... they are a good boot at a great value) and putting some studs in them for Canal and jetty fishing. But again, not necessary.

Korkers will be useful at the lower tides and when you have to traverse algae covered rocks. 

In some ways, this thread reminds me of whether or not someone needs a sealed reel for surf fishing AND how well does it need to be sealed.  In other words, there is no one definitive answer.  Just my friendly 2 cents on what works for me and why:

To me, there are advantages to wearing high stud count footwear, like some Korkers:

1. If you don’t wear them, there are spots that can be very dicey - especially at the popular lower tides.  And this is keeping in mind you should always be safe when near any rocks, let alone slippery ones.  In my experience it is much easier to slip without them than it is to trip up with them because of the extra grip. 

2.  They provide more stability when casting - even if you’re already wedging /lodging your feet between rocks etc.  

3.  Safe, fast landing of fish should be considered, IMHO.  Having Korkers may allow you to more carefully traverse closer to the water to unhook and release a fish. Often times (certainly not all), you see people without studded footwear stumbling around, smashing fish into rocks on landing and release, particularly because they are so far from the waters edge (again, some - not all).

Edited by GSB706z
Detail added

On 3/25/2023 at 3:28 PM, Nomad1999 said:

Will be making several trips to the canal this year, including a 1 week stay. Was wondering what I could get away with for the season without breaking the bank. Will probably be investing in waders & boots this fall or next spring so I can d[ more surf casting up & down the cost but wondering what i can get by with until then. 

Tnx

If you are planning on investing in waders and boots at some point you could just buy the boots now along with some thick neoprene wading socks for wet wading. If you are new to boot fit waders, you need to upsize the boots so they fit over the integrated socks. If you wear a size 11 street shoe you'll want a size 12 wading boot. The Korkers Buckskin are reasonable and they also have a good wading sock on their site. If I'm going to be in an area with lots of bubble weed I install the TRIPLE THREA CARBIDE SPIKE SOLE. If it's just slimy rock I use the felt sole but they don't give you much grip on the dirt embankment. Either way, it's good to have the ankle support of a boot with some extra grip. 

Use the first day as a learning experience. Use what everyone on here is telling you and make your own decisions. Then there is a few good tackle shops that will have what you have to have. As someone said Red Top Bait and Tackle is a real good one 

On 3/25/2023 at 4:35 PM, Ditch Jigger said:

I always wore hiking boots with aggressive tread soles and good ankle support. Never saw the need for Korkers, and I've seen guys twist their ankles with them when a stud catches on a rock.

And Goldy probably isn't exaggerating. Fish there often enough, and you'll see things that make you think you wandered into Bizzarro World by mistake. 

I agree, good pair of hiking or work boots have served me well forever. No need for Korkers or spikes for me.

Embrace American Privilege