Foot gear question for the canal.

Rate this topic

Nomad1999

Will be making several trips to the canal this year, including a 1 week stay. Was wondering what I could get away with for the season without breaking the bank. Will probably be investing in waders & boots this fall or next spring so I can d[ more surf casting up & down the cost but wondering what i can get by with until then. 

Tnx

43 mins ago, Nomad1999 said:

Will be making several trips to the canal this year, including a 1 week stay. Was wondering what I could get away with for the season without breaking the bank. Will probably be investing in waders & boots this fall or next spring so I can d[ more surf casting up & down the cost but wondering what i can get by with until then. 

Tnx

Theres no fish left up there

but ive seen little ninjas run up and down the rocks in flip flops

I always wore hiking boots with aggressive tread soles and good ankle support. Never saw the need for Korkers, and I've seen guys twist their ankles with them when a stud catches on a rock.

And Goldy probably isn't exaggerating. Fish there often enough, and you'll see things that make you think you wandered into Bizzarro World by mistake. 

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

7 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

I always wore hiking boots with aggressive tread soles and good ankle support. Never saw the need for Korkers, and I've seen guys twist their ankles with them when a stud catches on a rock.

And Goldy probably isn't exaggerating. Fish there often enough, and you'll see things that make you think you wandered into Bizzarro World by mistake. 

I swear. I wanted to know how the hell these young kids were scaling cape side behind the rink.   Im like. Ya no way.  

I've never fished CCC, and really doesn't sound too tempting.  For any slippery rocks, I wear my korkers with studded soles.  The studs won't catch enough to trip you up, but are sufficient for slippery wet rocks and weeds.  I still walk carefully though.

Although if it's really steep, you may want spikes.

Edited by Skunkoff

11 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Thanks.....this is what I was looking for. I know what I should invest in if I'm going to make the canal & jetties a habit. Just wanted to see if I could make due with my hikers & Boggs for now.

34 mins ago, ged said:

Boot foot waders, uninsulated LaCrosse boots, crocs.  Depending on where I am fishing the canal. 

Plan your landing before your cast. Don’t expect others to land your fish for you. 

Hip waders might be my best compromise for now.

Edited by Nomad1999

The past couple years I’ve always worn sneakers because I like to be able to hop around quickly and cover ground, but, the caveat is I fell relatively often. 

Years of soccer have given me the ankles of a mountain goat so I can hop from rock to rock no problem, but I found that several times I literally got dragged off my rock and into the canal by fish a couple times. Those few swims combined with seeing some people fall and get hurt real bad convinced e to finally buck up and wear boots

I wear a pair of simms wading boots I’ve had for a while, and they have screw in carbide studs in the soles, and I have to say the studs are a major improvement. They make you so steady and secure in your footing, and the ankle support from the boots helps as well while standing all day in weird positions.

cheap wading boots, or clip on korkers are probably the cheapest option, tho a mid-high quality pair of wading boots with studs will be the best long term investment.

I’ve also seen guys screw in and glue carbide studs into hard soled sneakers like converse or Chuck Taylor’s or vans

As GED mentioned really depends on where I plan to fish/tide will determine footwear.

Korkers are night/day especially if you fish the slime rocks but not needed for all spots.

Depending on budget you can always just screw in Kold Kutter studs (tire studs for ice) to the bottom of old boots. 

16 mins ago, Joe Paranee said:

I plan on going to see the circus end of may and I will be wearing a pair of wadding boots over wading socks with spikes and shorts :)

thats the canal outfit of champions. The only issue is if you slip or fall on the rocks past save you from some nasty scrapes and cuts