2023 Hunting

Rate this topic

ged

1 hour ago, Jighead75 said:

When F. W. socked a night the predators had a field day on the birds.

So throw them out in front of the "hunters" instead, so they don't have to work for them?  If they are going to toss them out in front of guys, it would make more sense just to hand out coupons to Wegmans for a chicken instead.   

Now, what happens to the ones they don't manage to kill right out of the box?

Hint:  It gets dark around 4:30 and they still spend the night with the predators.  

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

14 hours ago, Jeff270 said:

So throw them out in front of the "hunters" instead, so they don't have to work for them?  If they are going to toss them out in front of guys, it would make more sense just to hand out coupons to Wegmans for a chicken instead.   

I'm not saying I agree but I have been seeing SO much anti-hunting crap in nonhunting nature oriented groups lately. It's the annual hunting season whine fest.

Why I mentioned it, that view of guys shooting pet chickens is very typical of how pheasant hunting is viewed outside the hunting community. 

Not just the usual PETA/ANTIS either. People who can see some sense in deer hunting get turned off by the concept of stocking birds to shoot.

23 mins ago, mikez2 said:

I'm not saying I agree but I have been seeing SO much anti-hunting crap in nonhunting nature oriented groups lately. It's the annual hunting season whine fest.

Why I mentioned it, that view of guys shooting pet chickens is very typical of how pheasant hunting is viewed outside the hunting community. 

Not just the usual PETA/ANTIS either. People who can see some sense in deer hunting get turned off by the concept of stocking birds to shoot.

I agree and the only saving grace for this form of "hunting" is that a stamp has to be purchased by the hunters to support this segnent of the sport.  As far as the predators go, they as a whole are over populated, coyotes, bobcats bears , fisher cats and very possibly wolves and mountain lions.  Missing cats and dogs are one thing but what happens when they start preying on...........................

1 hour ago, b-ware said:

I agree and the only saving grace for this form of "hunting" is that a stamp has to be purchased by the hunters to support this segnent of the sport.  As far as the predators go, they as a whole are over populated, coyotes, bobcats bears , fisher cats and very possibly wolves and mountain lions.  Missing cats and dogs are one thing but what happens when they start preying on...........................

Agree Bernie, you took the words out of my mouth.

The only redeeming factors to the pheasant and quail program is it's paid for with hunter money as Bernie stated.

Also, it takes pressure off our wild birds like partridge and woodcock who's numbers are in a constant state of flux. 

The Sultan of Sluggo

4 hours ago, b-ware said:

Should there be a separate stamp for trout fishing?

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

I would pay it without complaining. 

So would I. 

I gladly pay for the pheasant stamp.  Id be happy if they made it $20 if it would discourage some of the meatheads.

6 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

When this stamp was first proposed it was to be increased in yearly increments till it reached $30. This was at the time when all license fees went up. 

That would be great!  There are way too many guys out there who are "hunting" pheasants purely for the meat (of which there isn't much).   They follow the trucks, shoot birds on the ground, shoot a limit and take it home only to come back and shoot two more.  

I would love to see some changes to the regs. 

• Make it illegal to shoot birds on the ground.  This is a huge safety concern.
  • Make it illegal to shoot birds less than 60 minutes from when they were stocked.  Better yet go back to stocking after legal shooting hours
  • Require the use of a dog!  I know this would never fly but its wishful thinking.  Not a day goes by when we (Mac and I) don't find several dead birds that were never recovered.  Perhaps have areas which are "dog only" areas, similar to fly fishing only rivers.

49 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

That would be great!  There are way too many guys out there who are "hunting" pheasants purely for the meat (of which there isn't much).   They follow the trucks, shoot birds on the ground, shoot a limit and take it home only to come back and shoot two more.  

I would love to see some changes to the regs. 

• Make it illegal to shoot birds on the ground.  This is a huge safety concern.
  • Make it illegal to shoot birds less than 60 minutes from when they were stocked.  Better yet go back to stocking after legal shooting hours
  • Require the use of a dog!  I know this would never fly but its wishful thinking.  Not a day goes by when we (Mac and I) don't find several dead birds that were never recovered.  Perhaps have areas which are "dog only" areas, similar to fly fishing only rivers.

If the Blue Laws remain in effect, then Ma FW should make Sunday a stocking day.  Stock the birds during the day, scatter them well.  By Monday they'll be spread out enough to provide some decent hunting.

But that will never happen either because they'd more than likely have to pay overtime on Sunday.

The Sultan of Sluggo

License sales are on the decline all over the NE, esp in Ma. Kids aren't interested in catching fish or hunting birds.  Parents want them playing sports and studying at home, to get into college or grab some scholarships $$$.

It programs like trout and pheasant are to continue "pay to go" stamps will be necessary.

The Sultan of Sluggo

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

If the Blue Laws remain in effect, then Ma FW should make Sunday a stocking day.  Stock the birds during the day, scatter them well.  By Monday they'll be spread out enough to provide some decent hunting.

But that will never happen either because they'd more than likely have to pay overtime on Sunday.

Change their hours.  Instead of working 8 to 4, tell them that for pheasant season their new hours are 11 to 7.