Cracked wood plugs

Rate this topic

FishinFreak

Is it normal for wood plugs to crack or split without impact being the cause? I fished this plug ONCE for a couple hours without even hooking a fish. Never casted into a rock or anything of the sorts. Is this a quality issue? Type of wood? Poor sealing? Also is this worth trying to repair with some epoxy? (Not trying to bash any builders here) 

4D6E8484-03D4-4485-B5A4-14C24B001D14.jpeg

D52BEB9F-C342-450C-9C23-0F450B0C64D3.jpeg

Looks to be pine, sealed minimally if at all.  Pine doesn’t like water, needs to be sealed well.  I would throw it out, or cut it in half and learn something.  With all those cracks, that plug must be soaking up a lot of water, and won’t swim right.

Edited by t_man7

Why aren’t you fishing?

3 mins ago, t_man7 said:

Looks to be pine, sealed minimally if at all.  Pine doesn’t like water, needs to be sealed well.  I would throw it out, or cut it in half and learn something.

I’m gonna attempt to fill cracks and fish it till it explodes haha. I have a handful of these from the same builder. Hopefully the others hold up a little better than this one. 

9 mins ago, FishinFreak said:

I’m gonna attempt to fill cracks and fish it till it explodes haha. I have a handful of these from the same builder. Hopefully the others hold up a little better than this one. 

It’s not the exterior cracks that are the problem.  Those cracks formed because it wasn’t sealed on the inside, where the through hole and swivels are.

Why aren’t you fishing?

2 mins ago, t_man7 said:

It’s not the exterior cracks that are the problem.  Those cracks formed because it wasn’t sealed on the inside, where the through hole and swivels are.

Ahh that’s not good news. I have 5 or 6 more of these. Hopefully I can get more than on trip on the others smh 

Just now, FishinFreak said:

Ahh that’s not good news. I have 5 or 6 more of these. Hopefully I can get more than on trip on the others smh 

If it’s the wood, then the others will be fine, if it’s the sealer, they all will crack.

Why aren’t you fishing?

1 min ago, t_man7 said:

If it’s the wood, then the others will be fine, if it’s the sealer, they all will crack.

I guess time will tell. I’ll try throwing a different one tomorrow and see how it holds up. Fingers crossed it’s just a bad piece of wood. 

From building stuff other than plugs, I learned that CA (Super) glue is great for filling tight cracks, epoxy may not seep in very far, but thin CA glue will soak right in. If you have the activator for the CA, you can be done in about a minute.

CA also comes in thin, med., and thick now, too, as well as different colors. The thick is great for rubber on jigs.

But, as mentioned above, if this is just a tester, fish the hell out of it.

"Can You Hear Me, Doctor?"