Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ACKer

Catching Cruising Fish

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Last October I was fishing near Great Point in Nantucket at about 4am when I saw an absolute cow cruising along just beyond the breakers (approx. 50-60' off the beach--fins and tail fin completely out of the water). The size of the fish threw me for a loop at first, but when I got my senses together I started casting at it. I happened to be throwing a Lex Surfster (from Tim) at the time w/ a teaser. In my efforts, three of my casts were perfect where I was able to slowly crawl the teaser and plug right in front of the fish. Each time the plug crossed its path the fish slowly submerged and re-surfaced on the other side still cruising along at the same speed. I was pulling my hair out as I jogged along trying to keep up with it. I finally lost sight of the fish, and to this day I've been thinking about what I could have done differently to get that fish's attention. Any thoughts or similar experiences?

ACKer,

maybe that momma was grubbing sand eels/crabs late in the season and never paid notice to your surface presentation[tail&fin out of the water]

try running a tin or bucktail by her if it happens again..

Some thing big and alive an eel maybe a herring or live bunker.Some times I see a fish cruising like that right after feeding.Never hardly hit anything either. maybe that fish was coming off a feed and had no interest in eating your plug or anything else.Maybe it was a big old smart fish that's probably seen more plugs than you have.Maybe it was old and sick.Maybe someone had caught and released it before you got there.Maybe it works for the Nantucket Bureau of Tourism.icon25.gifWho knows?I hope you get another shot.thumbup.gifYou sure don't get to many that's for sure.

That's happened to me and you really can't or couldn't do anything different. Usually when it happens you have very little time to make choices. I've actually seen gator blues do it too....in shallow water. Sometimes I wondered if the fish were sick or disoriented....who knows?

My worst experience involves a 40# class musky in a lake that was notorious for large musky in the region that I live. I threw about 5 lures in two minutes to no avail.....and I can still see her swimming.

It stays with you.

------------------

DC ><}}}}>

I don't spend too much time on fish I can see- it's too frustrating. Same thing happened to me at Wasque one day with a 30lb +/-. A guy put an eel in front of it to no avail. Flats fishing will make you nuts too. Makes you wonder how many fish see your lures and never bite. I'd guess, and FishEye could maybe back me up, that a small minority of fish that see your lure or bait actually bite.