Cabo, Mexico in April

Rate this topic

DEM Parking Lot

Just now, Stryper Snyper said:

Got stuck on business in Cabo. Airport was closed. Boss wanted to rent vans and drive to San Diego. The people at the rental place laughed at him. Said never gonna make it.  We stayed for days until they opened the airport.

When was it?

I vacationed in Cabo every year for the last 8 years. Never heard or encountered closed airport. Cabo is probably safer than most cities in US.

“The airport handled 5,549,600 passengers in 2021 and 7,019,200 in 2022, 63% of them from international destinations.[1] It has become the most important airport in the state of Baja California Sur. Because of a dramatic increase in the number of holiday resorts and due to the region's fast population growth, the infrastructure of the airport is now insufficient compared to the increasing demand, causing a lack of available positions for aircraft during peak-hours, as in many other airports in Mexico.”

2 mins ago, levari said:

When was it?

I vacationed in Cabo every year for the last 8 years. Never heard or encountered closed airport. Cabo is probably safer than most cities in US.

“The airport handled 5,549,600 passengers in 2021 and 7,019,200 in 2022, 63% of them from international destinations.[1] It has become the most important airport in the state of Baja California Sur. Because of a dramatic increase in the number of holiday resorts and due to the region's fast population growth, the infrastructure of the airport is now insufficient compared to the increasing demand, causing a lack of available positions for aircraft during peak-hours, as in many other airports in Mexico.”

After Odile hit the airport sure was closed.  I was in the first Southwest flight back into Cabo after the storm.  We got the fire department spraying the plane welcome.

Cabo

On 3/9/2023 at 9:10 AM, koalaslim said:

Sierra are very similar to Spanish, they eat very well.  

Most of the fish around on the beach are fast moving, so the fast retrieve is ideal.  A Stradic 8k would be great.  

If there are rocky areas at the end of the beach you are on, you might get some snapper and groupers hiding out there.  

Pick up a few roberts rangers.  They skip across the surface really well, and are known producers there.  

Great perk of our resort, is we get access to four other sister resorts & shuttle bus.  One of the resorts has a rocky shoreline, I'll definitely keep that in mind.  I'll be sure to pack some rangers with me as well, thanks!

On 3/10/2023 at 1:13 AM, Alferd Packer said:

It’s as if Stephen posted this just for you! You can thank me later.

That video pretty much answers my question...  and sure gets the blood boiling.

Our resort gives us access to the other sister resorts which is one of them mentioned in the video.  So we'll definitely be traveling there as well.

22 hours ago, Bogey said:

Is Cabo safe, I saw a map showing where various gangs where operating and there was one in Cabo.

That was my and I's question as well, but no where is "safe" in today's standards.

Gata' live on the edge sometime, I guess.

16 hours ago, Cabo2005 said:

Look up Cabo Surfcaster.  He does daily guided trips.  Wesley is a good guy and he can get you to places you otherwise would not have access to.  I've fished with him and had a great time.

Cabo

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

16 hours ago, Cabo2005 said:

Look up Cabo Surfcaster.  He does daily guided trips.  Wesley is a good guy and he can get you to places you otherwise would not have access to.  I've fished with him and had a great time.

Cabo

My wife and I been heavily watching his vids (well just me lol) along with Jansens to get an idea of lures & techniques. 

Judging by your username, I take it you've fished cabo a few times so far.

1 hour ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

My wife and I been heavily watching his vids (well just me lol) along with Jansens to get an idea of lures & techniques. 

Judging by your username, I take it you've fished cabo a few times so far.

More than a few times.  I also met my wife at a resort there. Needle Fish are also a blast.  You will see a couple of Rangers in the picture. You staying at Pueblo Bonito?

DSC05523.JPG.89b65b25d1d42a049a9e0fac1c7c0196.JPG

Cabo

Edited by Cabo2005

1 hour ago, Cabo2005 said:

More than a few times.  I also met my wife at a resort there. Needle Fish are also a blast.  You will see a couple of Rangers in the picture. You staying at Pueblo Bonito?

Cabo

Nice fish!  From brief research, it seems that giant needles are a plentiful species to catch there.  I'll be happy hooking up on a few Needles.

And I'll definitely be packing up some rangers as well.

Yes, we are staying at The Towers Pacifica.  Looks like we have access to the sister resorts as well.  Sunset beach is on my radar for fishing.

52 mins ago, Kastmaster44 said:

If your going to invest in a Roberts Ranger, Chrome is favored by Roosterfish. Change out the split ring and the single hook to a VMC 4x treble. I clear coat mine with Devcon 2 ton 30 minute epoxy.

Good luck on your trip

I've caught them on red/white and blue/white also.  I also put on a treble.

Cabo

Where you are stayin you have all the beach you need to fish.  We are in Pedregal so I typically start there as there are some nice rocks available.  On the map where I made the crude arrow, you can walk up and fish that corner.  I caught my largest Sierra in that cove.  The area I circled is all fishable.  Heck of an undertow some days so be careful.  Early morning so you can catch the sunrise is my favorite.

Beach.jpg.1a4bc211a1213a9dd3772dfd212dffeb.jpg

Cabo

Edited by Cabo2005

On 3/11/2023 at 1:33 PM, Cabo2005 said:

Where you are stayin you have all the beach you need to fish.  We are in Pedregal so I typically start there as there are some nice rocks available.  On the map where I made the crude arrow, you can walk up and fish that corner.  I caught my largest Sierra in that cove.  The area I circled is all fishable.  Heck of an undertow some days so be careful.  Early morning so you can catch the sunrise is my favorite.

Beach.jpg.1a4bc211a1213a9dd3772dfd212dffeb.jpg

Cabo

Excellent info, Cabo.  Thank you for this post.  Exactly what I needed to know, as well as what I wanted to hear!

1 hour ago, yosco said:

Ive been trying to make this trip happen also.

Looks like fun. Lotta good info. Thx. Hope DEM

gets a chance to post after his trip. Good luck.

You should make it happen.  If you book with Pueblo Bonito, you get free admission to their four other sister resorts (Sunset beach & Pacifica are in the prime areas from what I’m hearing).

I will definitely keep this thread updated with with the travel experience, fishing etc!

• 3 weeks later...