Cabo, Mexico in April

Rate this topic

DEM Parking Lot

This thread is a sequel from my Honeymoon fishing thread posted previously that somewhat turned into an "off-topic cluttered mess".  With that being said, i'd like to keep this on topic.

So i'm heading to Cabo the 2nd week of April and plan on doing some surf casting on the resort.

The surrounding beach is considered "non-swimmable" due to the high-turbulence and undertow.  A very fishy looking area and fishing IS allowed on the property.

Anyway, my gear will consist of;

9' St croix Triumph Surf travel rod

Shimano Twin Power XD 5000

20lb Powerpro

Handful of 2-3oz Kastmasters

My goal is to pack light since I won't be doing much fishing. 

Any other Lures/gear I should/should not bring?  Travel tips with TSA and my gear?

What would I expect to catch during this time of year?

Thanks all

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

Where are you staying? If you are staying out near diamanté beach/ hard rock resort you are in a pretty good fishing area. If you are in one of the beach hotels in Cabo the fishing is not going to be that great. 

Reach out to Steven Jansen. His shop is in the same mall as the Walmart. Among his other videos, he has one that explains what you can target at what part of the year. Between visiting his shop and the video you will have plenty of good information. 

31 mins ago, Alferd Packer said:

Where are you staying? If you are staying out near diamanté beach/ hard rock resort you are in a pretty good fishing area. If you are in one of the beach hotels in Cabo the fishing is not going to be that great. 

Reach out to Steven Jansen. His shop is in the same mall as the Walmart. Among his other videos, he has one that explains what you can target at what part of the year. Between visiting his shop and the video you will have plenty of good information. 

Thanks for the reply!

We're staying at The Towers Pacifica. 

Looks like the Hard Rock resort is only a few miles from our area, so that's assuring to hear.  I've watched a few of his vids so far, will have to check out more of them.

I'd love to stop by his shop but I don't think the wife will want to leave the resort (can't blame her) :)

You’ll need to go to Walmart for beer and tequila! 

If you want to take your own lures: pencils and poppers, jigs, just about anything that gives you good distance. Look for the same structure and water movement you see up here. 

Edited by Alferd Packer

You should consider a longer rod, big wave all day want let you stay close to water..... 

You can catch Sierra Mackerel, Crevalle Jack or even Rooster fish if you are lucky and have a faster retrieve reel...

(*member formerly known as 'Ricardo8')

On 3/7/2023 at 2:47 PM, Alferd Packer said:

You’ll need to go to Walmart for beer and tequila! 

If you want to take your own lures: pencils and poppers, jigs, just about anything that gives you good distance. Look for the same structure and water movement you see up here. 

On 3/7/2023 at 2:47 PM, CrappieAttitude said:

Jansen also has some of his lures that you might give a try

That would totally work if we didn't get the all inclusive package LOL.

I think my game plan will bring the heaviest jigs/spoons I have for distance and try to "match the hatch" of what Jansen has for inventory. 

I may try to reach out to him to see if he would ship to the states.

11 hours ago, koalaslim said:

You'll catch Sierra Mack from the beach using metal jigs and kastmasters.  Got a longer rod?  The area generally reqiures long casts.  

9 hours ago, Mahigo said:

You should consider a longer rod, big wave all day want let you stay close to water..... 

You can catch Sierra Mackerel, Crevalle Jack or even Rooster fish if you are lucky and have a faster retrieve reel...

Are Sierra Macks also spanish macks?  Delicious, if so.

I do have longer rods in my inventory, but they're not really "travel friendly" (Lami 1 pieces).  Hopefully my casts will be pro-efficient enough to get my offerings where they need to be.

I'll be packing an 8k Stradic as well if a faster retrieve is needed.

Sierra are very similar to Spanish, they eat very well.  

Most of the fish around on the beach are fast moving, so the fast retrieve is ideal.  A Stradic 8k would be great.  

If there are rocky areas at the end of the beach you are on, you might get some snapper and groupers hiding out there.  

Pick up a few roberts rangers.  They skip across the surface really well, and are known producers there.  

Edited by koalaslim

I’ve always felt safe there and in most parts of Mexico. You don’t want to wander too far off the beaten path by yourself however.

That said, there are certainly places where I would exercise a great deal of care, especially after dark. Juarez and other border towns to start with. There are also towns in Mexico where Mexicans, if their skin is a bit too white, don’t feel safe.

Edited by Alferd Packer