How old is he?

Rate this topic

Dusky

One evening a grandson was talking to his

grandfather about current events.

The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The granddad replied, "Well, let me think a minute

...I was born, before television, penicillin, polio shots, frozen foods, Xerox, contact lenses, Frisbees and the pill.

There was no radar, credit cards, laser beams or ball-point pens.

Man had not invented pantyhose, air conditioners, dishwashers,

clothes dryers, and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and man hadn't yet walked on the moon.

Your grandmother and I got married first-and then lived together. Every family had a father and a mother.

Until I was 25, I called every man older than I, 'Sir'-and after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title,

'Sir.' Sundays were set aside for going to church as a family, helping those in need, and visiting with family or neighbors.

We were before gay-rights, computer-dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy. Our lives were governed by the Ten

Commandments, good judgment, and common sense. We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.

Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums. We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings. We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios. And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey. If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan' on it, it was junk. The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of. We had 5 & 10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents. Ice cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a

nickel. And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards .

You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600 but who could afford one? Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon. In my day, 'grass' was mowed, 'coke' was a cold drink, 'pot' was something your mother cooked in, and 'rock music' was your grandmother's lullaby. 'Aids' were helpers in the Principal's office, 'chip' meant a piece of wood, 'hardware' was found in a hardware store, and 'software' wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed

a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us "old and confused" and

say there is a generation gap.

...and how old do you think I am ???.

SOL #241 Berkeley Striper Club, Seaside, NJ

cwm33.gif Too many words. My guess is 65. Just because that's about the age of a lot of grand-farters.

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16

I was doing alittle research to narrow my answer and try to guess within 5 years. Billy 40 messed that up! I figured TV sorta took off around the mid 40's, the grandpop was around 10 in 1945 so I would guess 76 years old. TV was around in the late 1920's btw!(looked that up)

"Candide et constanter"

Yer comin in a bit high Bob...By the way Bob, another get-together is in the plans for sometime before the holidays....ive got a few ideas and ill keep ya posted as im sure we,ll hopefully be able to count you in wink.gif

SOL #241 Berkeley Striper Club, Seaside, NJ