Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobA

Surf Fishing Never on TV

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I have been watching the weekend morning fishing shows for many years. I think I can only remember one episode of ESPN Outdoors that has had a surf fishing theme.

Why has this been such an overlooked aspect of the sport? How do the SOL members feel about bringing more attention to the sport by having it on TV occasionally?

There are probably more advertising dollars to be gleaned from boat manufacturers and the companies that supply the boating community.

You want to find the truth, always follow the trail of the money. (yes, I've become a cynic).

------------------

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

I'd rather they didn't cover it at all. Some things are better left alone. Is it possible that a sport can become too popular? There are spots around here I could DEPEND on for solitude and good fishing. Spots that would make you question whether or not you were actually in NY!! Now I go to some of these spots and there is some googan there with his whole family and friends drinkin' 40's(no, it wasn't billy tongue.gif )... I think how in the hell did this clown find this spot and manage to get his family back here? Damn it!

TV would make things WAAAAYYYYY worse!!

There was one show based in LI on a smaller cable network but I can't mention the hosts name here.

Not that I'd want to anyway.

icon25.gifhammer-time.gif

Mike W.

MickeyBlueFish;

You are absolutely right!!

By the way, what is meant by; Drinking 40's?

thanks

------------------

BillC

I seem to recall an episode of Spanish Fly where Jose was flats fishing for bass up on the Cape (I think?). One day was kinda windy, so the guide took him to a back bay area in the lee & they were casting live eels from shore. Looked like fun. icon14.gif

There's some technical aspects to it too. Those shows thrive on the host catchin' You;d either have to find a daytime blitz, or else set up all kinds of lighting equipment on the beach at night---and think about what they'd catch in that event wink.gif

There was one on today breifly, at Montauk. They showed people fishing from shore for about 3 mins then went out on the boat. One thing I never seen on these fishing shows is a guy catching a BIG striper. I think the biggest I saw caught was like 31''. Any1 see any 40'' caught?

ISOC