2023 Edition: Fish taken on factory or custom wood.

Rate this topic

Heavy Hooksetter

14 hours ago, OnlyDinks said:

I’ve admired some of the stuff you posted up, curious to hear how that blockhead works! I love fishing big wood, it’s kinda all I fish lately. I sold the last of my sp minnows and will never buy another. Big wood may not be the most productive plugs but they put the biggest smile on my face when they get bit..

TY, there's nothing like slinging a big swimmer out into the inky, black rips and dragging it through them then feeling that heavy thump, you swing and connect then that heavy stick bends over and drag slips.

nothing else like it.

it this something you do on a reg basis or something new to you?

I ask because maybe we could do a thread on the subject describing the battles of throwing big wood.

HH

ps-as for the new blockhead, I hope to see soon.

I think it will work well. 

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

13 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

TY, there's nothing like slinging a big swimmer out into the inky, black rips and dragging it through them then feeling that heavy thump, you swing and connect then that heavy stick bends over and drag slips.

nothing else like it.

it this something you do on a reg basis or something new to you?

I ask because maybe we could do a thread on the subject describing the battles of throwing big wood.

HH

ps-as for the new blockhead, I hope to see soon.

I think it will work well. 

There really isn’t anything like it. It’s not new to me, but it seems the last couple years the big stuff has really taken over haha. There’s def limitations and sometimes it can be really frustrating but when it works out it’s really rewarding. There are def ‘battles’ sometimes as I’m sure you know, the biggest for me probably being fish leveraging hooks against each other and running a really tight drag, you bend some hooks and some fish do manage to just throw the hooks and Houdini. If you think the ins and outs of big stuff is worth a thread I’ll add in what my 6 brain cells have gathered…

8 hours ago, OnlyDinks said:

There really isn’t anything like it. It’s not new to me, but it seems the last couple years the big stuff has really taken over haha. There’s def limitations and sometimes it can be really frustrating but when it works out it’s really rewarding. There are def ‘battles’ sometimes as I’m sure you know, the biggest for me probably being fish leveraging hooks against each other and running a really tight drag, you bend some hooks and some fish do manage to just throw the hooks and Houdini. If you think the ins and outs of big stuff is worth a thread I’ll add in what my 6 brain cells have gathered…

the thread thing was just a thought.

have you read the thread called the backward forward technique?,, Search it and check it out if you haven't.

it will enlighten the people that understand using big wood.

the time is just beginning!.

sometimes smaller fish get big balls. 

HH

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, EliasA said:

I haven’t seen that jointed before 

looks pretty slick

That's an old build I think it's from 2009 or maybe 2013 somewhere in there I'd have to look at it.

I built six in total but only two like the one you see there the other one I sold to my buddy and blue fish ate it up over a couple seasons.

The others I think you might have seen they were like really really giant size.

HH

4 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

That's an old bill I think it's from 2009 or maybe 2013 somewhere in there I'd have to look at it.

I built six in total but only two like the one you see there the other one I sold to my buddy and blue fish ate it up over a couple seasons.

The others I think you might have seen they were like really really giant size.

HH

I really like that color, it’s sort of eel-ish looking. Probably also does a good job at imitating bunker and herring too

2 hours ago, EliasA said:

I really like that color, it’s sort of eel-ish looking. Probably also does a good job at imitating bunker and herring too

the eel color was not by accident.

as for bunker?,,, I'm not so sure, eel was on mind with that color combo.

HH