What Braid do you use and why?

Rate this topic

planter

It seems like the majority of the fishing public always grab Power Pro. They clearly have other manufacturers in the corner to the point that they can charge a veritable fortune. I even see reels that ude PP as a benchmark for line capacity. Is it because of name recognition or quality$ I've had charter boat captains swear by Cortland and some guys like Suffix. What's your choice of braid and why? Spooling up a dozen reels and some extra spools with braid is a killer.

Hercules because it’s cheap and it works just fine.  IMO too many people spend way too much on braid.  I remember getting super slick spoiled up a number of years ago and it cost me I’ve $60.  To me that’s just ridiculous.  Hercules 8 strand is a nice braid, have never had any unusual issues and it’s pretty cheap.  Also I have too many reels to spool with the expensive stuff

Very simple.   When I switched from mono to braid because of too much line twisting, the bait shop recommended 30 LB green PP.  The twisting stopped and the only break offs I've had have been solely my own fault.   I prescribe to the "If it isn't broken, don't fix it" 

theory.   

Marty

Suffix 832 Lo-Vis Green (perfect for the MD -> CT coastline possibly farther, but I have not gone more than that). Strength depends on what I am fishing, usually one of 15lb, 30lb, or 65lb. I like it because it has been very consistent, and usually tests at least to it's rating if not stronger. I have also not had any issues with it and FG knots or double palomar knots (unlike some other braid). It is also usually easy to find, especially in larger spools that I will typically buy (1200yrd, 3500yrd) since I am usually spooling multiple reels/spools with it when I replace my line every other year or so.

Edited by FallenKell

Last year I started using Berkley X9, 15 and 20 lb test. Seems durable and strong enough for my back bay fishing.  Color seems to hold pretty well. Also smoother than a lot of other braids.  I can cast for a long time without any finger protection and without chewing up my finger. 

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."   -- A.K. Best --

First line I bought was Jbraid x8 then I tried kastking mega 8, had no issues with kastking other than color fading but can’t find it anymore. Tried suffix 832 once and it snapped well under its rating and went right back to jbraid x8. If I could find kastking mega 8 I’d use it again, $20 for a 300yd spool. I usually find my jbraid x8 on amazon for $21-$25 for a 300yd spool.

Honestly I use generic power pro for generic uses. 

For more specialized stuff I use other braids. For freshwater frogs I fish 65lb 832, for jigging I use either powerpro maxcuatro or verivas avani jigging. 

on a lot of my higher end reels and specialized casting setups I use various YGK and varivas lines, I love a lot of their offerings.

for micro fishing and bfs I use Hitena airbraid because it is unbelievably soft and thin

Suffix 832, because it’s stronger than the box rating most of the time, knots well, never had a knot failure with a ten turn uni knot, even when fighting 6’ sharks, easy to find, and it lasts a while. Pretty abrasion resistant for a braid too, 20 and 40 pound hold up well against rocks when I’m fishing jetties. I use 80 pound for muskies too, and it works just fine. 30 and 40 pound 832 is my go-to braid for surf fishing, and all kinds of fishing for that matter. If I can’t get my hands on 832 I like spider wire ultracast too, surprisingly abrasion resistant and very strong. Caught a near 8 pound sheepshead on 20 pound ultracast and it got stuck in a rock and I was able to get it out and land it without the braid snapping, though it was chewed up pretty badly and I had to retie. Both are good choices, but the 832 is a little cheaper.

They were biting before you got here and they’ll bite again after you leave