Another FYI to central Ma outdoor folks

Rate this topic

bob_G

This Thursday, 7pm at the Rutland Library, Rutland Ma the meeting process resumes between the Ware River Watershed Committee, the DCR, and local residents, sportsmen and  outdoor folks. 

The DCR is still pushing to severely restrict, if not completely close large portions of not only Barre Falls, but much adjacent property under their custodianship. 

This includes over 75 miles of dirt roads they claim are being eroded and damaged by car and foot traffic, bicycles, horses, hunters and fishermen. 

These are the very roads they're they're presently running 18 wheel logging and wood pulp trucks, log skidders and other heavy equipment.

If you can make it, be there or be square.:wave:

The Sultan of Sluggo

23 hours ago, bob_G said:

This Thursday, 7pm at the Rutland Library, Rutland Ma the meeting process resumes between the Ware River Watershed Committee, the DCR, and local residents, sportsmen and  outdoor folks. 

The DCR is still pushing to severely restrict, if not completely close large portions of not only Barre Falls, but much adjacent property under their custodianship. 

This includes over 75 miles of dirt roads they claim are being eroded and damaged by car and foot traffic, bicycles, horses, hunters and fishermen. 

These are the very roads they're they're presently running 18 wheel logging and wood pulp trucks, log skidders and other heavy equipment.

If you can make it, be there or be square.:wave:

Does Barr Falls have designated hunting areas or times? I'd love to check it out at some point but don't want to accidentally get shot but an over zealous hunter. I'm sure I am exaggerating things in my mind but the thought is always there. I get nervous fishing the chu once they put up the hunting warnings. 

9 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Does Barr Falls have designated hunting areas or times? I'd love to check it out at some point but don't want to accidentally get shot but an over zealous hunter. I'm sure I am exaggerating things in my mind but the thought is always there. I get nervous fishing the chu once they put up the hunting warnings. 

You could get in a car accident on the way there too. 

I'll have mine on the rocks.

11 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Nice opinion of hunters.:thdwn:

Guys like you are better off not attending these hearing.  You should probably remain hiding under the bed, shivering,  with the lights off, shades drawn, and doors locked.

The Sultan of Sluggo

8 mins ago, bob_G said:

Nice opinion of hunters.:thdwn:

Guys like you are better off not attending these hearing.  You should probably remain hiding under the bed, shivering,  with the lights off, shades drawn, and doors locked.

You take things way too personally. And for the record, my knowledge comes from you and things you say on this forum. Here is a direct quote from you: "

I feel your pain and share your concern.

I attend quite a few Ma FW and DCR meetings annually. All of which require driving long distances and often getting home after midnight.

I'm always disappointed to see how poorly attended and represented Ma sportsmen are.  In some cases supposed "sportsmen" standing and speaking before hundreds of people, while reeking of alcohol and barely coherent This is especially the case with hunters."

Not sure which of your words i should believe? And let's see who runs and hides when called out for their words. 

2 hours ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

I've never understood this paranoia. 

I run into this constantly among the non-hunting outdoors activity folks I interact with. Birders are the worst. They act like they're about to enter a war zone if they walk on the path during pheasant season. 

I don't know what they think can happen to them during bird season. Although that guy Dick Chenney shot in the face did eventually die.:)

I go all over the place during hunting season  especially spring turkey which overlaps alot of my time in the woods.

I will wear bright colors and I've been known to talk to myself outloud to warn hunters of my presence. But mostly I just try to avoid places where I know someone might be actively hunting. 

My take on that is, I don't want to screw up somebody's hunt. They get a short window to do their thing. They dont need somebody tromping through the area scaring away the game.

Edited by mikez2

3 mins ago, mikez2 said:

I've never understood this paranoia. 

I run into this constantly among the non-hunting outdoors activity folks I interact with. Birders are the worst. They act like they're about to enter a war zone if they walk on the path during pheasant season. 

I don't know what they think can happen to them during bird season. Although that guy Dick Chenney shot in the face did eventually die.:)

I go all over the place during hunting season  especially spring turkey which overlaps alot of my time in the woods.

I will wear bright colors and I've been known to talk to myself outloud to warn hunters of my presence. But mostly I just try to avoid places where I know someone might be actively hunting. 

My take on that is, I don't want to screw up somebody's hunt. They get a short window to do their thing. They dont need somebody tromping through the area scaring away the game.

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind. I also agree it shouldn't be an issue. I don't think most hunters are careless about safety, but according to some people at least some of them reek of alcohol while giving public talks defending their hunting grounds, so I can only wonder if they drink while walking in the woods with loaded guns. I will definitely buy one of those bright orange hats if I make a trip out there.

1 min ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind. I also agree it shouldn't be an issue. I don't think most hunters are careless about safety, but according to some people at least some of them reek of alcohol while giving public talks defending their hunting grounds, so I can only wonder if they drink while walking in the woods with loaded guns. I will definitely buy one of those bright orange hats if I make a trip out there.

I think you are trying to start a ruckus. 

If you're seriously afraid of drunk people, how do you manage to drive our roads?

1 min ago, mikez2 said:

I think you are trying to start a ruckus. 

If you're seriously afraid of drunk people, how do you manage to drive our roads?

I'm certainly not trying to start a ruckus. I was called out for my fears of exploring barr falls and I simply explained where this fear came from. I'm not afraid of drunk people, I'm afraid of drunk people with loaded guns.  If most drivers drove while drunk, then I probably would drive less, but I don't think that's the case. I avoid driving on certain nights(new years eve for example), when there are probably more drunk drivers than usual. Now if @bob_G didn't disparage the hunters of barr falls, I wouldn't have this fear, which i agree is probably irrational. Yet he called me out for my opinion on hunters? And when I respond with legitimate evidence using his own words, I'm the bad guy?

1 min ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

I'm certainly not trying to start a ruckus. I was called out for my fears of exploring barr falls and I simply explained where this fear came from. I'm not afraid of drunk people, I'm afraid of drunk people with loaded guns.  If most drivers drove while drunk, then I probably would drive less, but I don't think that's the case. I avoid driving on certain nights(new years eve for example), when there are probably more drunk drivers than usual. Now if @bob_G didn't disparage the hunters of barr falls, I wouldn't have this fear, which i agree is probably irrational. Yet he called me out for my opinion on hunters? And when I respond with legitimate evidence using his own words, I'm the bad guy?

I don't mean to call you a bad guy.

I honestly can't explain why I feel the need to keep jumping into these threads. I think I'm too bored. Spring can't come soon enough. 

Time for some SOL abstinence for me....

Just now, mikez2 said:

I don't mean to call you a bad guy.

I honestly can't explain why I feel the need to keep jumping into these threads. I think I'm too bored. Spring can't come soon enough. 

Time for some SOL abstinence for me....

Yea I feel the same way from time to time, but I don't think challenging peoples words is a bad thing, especially when they call you out first.  I admit I do like to argue. Its why I almost became a philosopher.

5 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

I did not disparage people who hunt Barre Falls.  

I remember quite well what I said. I'm paraphrasing, but I said something to the effect of "I attend a lot of meetings, both Ma FW, DCR and Ware River Watershed Committee. I'm always disappointed to see how poorly Ma hunters are represented. Esp the ones who choose to speak after they've been imbibing."

When I stand up and speak I'm well prepared, with notes, emails and quotes if necessary. 

Just for the record, Ive never seen a drunk hunter in the woods in over 50 years of hunting. If I did, I would report him without hesitation.

The Sultan of Sluggo

25 mins ago, bob_G said:

I did not disparage people who hunt Barre Falls.  

I remember quite well what I said. I'm paraphrasing, but I said something to the effect of "I attend a lot of meetings, both Ma FW, DCR and Ware River Watershed Committee. I'm always disappointed to see how poorly Ma hunters are represented. Esp the ones who choose to speak after they've been imbibing."

When I stand up and speak I'm well prepared, with notes, emails and quotes if necessary. 

Just for the record, Ive never seen a drunk hunter in the woods in over 50 years of hunting. If I did, I would report him without hesitation.

I never said you were drunk while hunting, and you saying you would report a drunk hunter certainly makes me feel better and I hope others would as well. Sorry for misunderstanding your previous post but hopefully you can understand why it was able to be misinterpret as such. 

What a bunch of BS!   

I have hunted for well over 50 years.  I've harvested multiple deer in MA, ME, PA, and NY.  I've shot hundreds of geese, and a lot of ducks. Not to mention pheasants. In all that time, I have never seen a drunk hunter in the woods,a duck blind, or while hunting pheasants. 

That said, previously having spent 18 years in town government, I have seen more than a few people get up at public hearings who were very ill prepared on the subject at hand, or a bit under the influence.  Be at town meeting, a planning board meeting, or some other event.  It does happen very occasionally!

The point being that if someone happens to be a bit under the weather at a public hearing, it in no way suggests they are in the same condition when they are in the field. 

Stop trying to paint hunters in a bad light.  As previously noted, you sound like you are just trying to start a ruckus!

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?