Boga question

Rate this topic

oldowan

12 hours ago, Rmarsh said:

My boga gets jammed way too easy ....with even just a small amount of sand....and I found out i can do just fine without one.

I've owned (2) a 30# and a 60#. The bigger one is heavier and too bulky to carry all the time. I used it more for weighing than lipping, and as the 30 handled most situations, the 60 became a nuiscance to carry. The 15 is kinda' useless who cares if a fish is 6 lbs. or 9lbs.?

I sold them both, mostly because I agree with above post, a good pair of pliers are enough for the lipping if needed and the scale is a novelty until it wears off, then you only weigh what looks like it has shoulders not like the others. And keeping sand out of them provides peace of mind that they will work when needed. Just not needed, maybe for a yakker or smaller boat?

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

I don’t weigh fish. Don’t care. I hate big teeth and hooks. I bought a pair of BPS branded grippers for probably 1/10th the price of a boga. They are not plastic in fact they look just like bogas but they don’t weigh. I’ve had them for 20, 25 years? No problems they work fine and look like they will last another 25 years. Although I have plenty of money to piss away if I choose to, I don’t just because of the perceived value in a name,  like VS pliers and Abel nippers. I always have my grips but rarely use them. I’ve never owned a pair of Bogas and  never will unless they fall into my lap. They simply are not worth my money. But it’s your money so if you want them, go get them. 

5 hours ago, oldowan said:

Thanks everyone.  30 lb Boga is where I was leaning.  I guess I’ll pic up a gripper as well, though I doubt I would carry both on my belt.

Already had a couple of close calls with treble hooks when the fish suddenly jerks almost out of a tenuous thumb grip…. And I haven’t caught any Blues yet and have wondered what that will eventually bring…

Thanks again!

As far as the blue fish- they have a tendency from time to time to get like lock jaw when you land them and can’t get them to open up. That’s one place I like the boga cause it’s metal and the lip grip part is kinda flat metal that you can pry it in there. 

I have never used or owned the plastic plier looking kind, but a guy I fish with (who has been fishing for a long time and is top notch) uses them and seems to like them. 

as for me, I’m cheap and can’t see spending hundreds of dollars on gear that I’m gonna beat up. I have owned like 3 generic bogas and 1 real deal over the last 20 yrs and they are all still kicking. So don’t be shy to look on Amazon and buy something else that fits the bill. Just make sure the lip gripper part (the shape of the point) is shaped similar to the real ones. As I mentioned, I have a flatter lighter weight style that I think is made of aluminum and SS and they are nice and easy to use and rotate too and are much lighter and comfortable 

Honestly I’m the opposite. I see no use for the 30, I carry a 60 almost always. 

for controlling smaller fish a plastic lip gripper will do the job just as well as the 30lb boga but for $10 instead of $200.

I carry the 60 because it’s really not that heavy, and I’m pushing hard to top 50, so I’m only weighing fish if they’re 45” plus, in that case the 30 does me no use.

also, I have a carp weighing basket that I use to weigh fish so I don’t have to hang them by the lil. The mesh basket holds the fish horizontally and supports the whole weight of the fish, i hook the boga through the handles on the basket and lift the fish horizontally  

Bogas are dead nuts accurate and will last forever. Plastic grippers can crush and mangle jaws, I'd rather have a cheap boga-style rotating gripper (like the Rapala alum) than the plastic ones that clamp shut. 

15 is for freshwater...way too small for any bass/blue you need to use it on. 

15 boga.png