Anyone Take Over Making Guppy Lures?

Rate this topic

JPH

Did someone  Mention my name?  The loaded Cordell.  Around 1990  I think I was the first person to load a Cordell for use in the canal . It’s true don’t care if you believe me .  It was loaded with 11/4 oz 12 ga  # 71/2 bird shot or more weight were needed added to 7 “ Cordell . This was before the spinning reel and braid line. It was conventional reel a 30 lb big game and a heavy Cordell.  That’s the truth. And more to the story 

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

Loaded, the  Cordell is a very effective lure 

24 mins ago, bob_G said:

a loaded Cordell 

6 mins ago, stifftip said:

The loaded Cordell. ... It was loaded with 11/4 oz 12 ga  # 71/2 bird shot

I usually have two 6" loaded Cordells in my bag, a white one and a green mac one. I load them up to about 3 3/4 oz with #8 buck shot. That lure flies to the never reaches of the canal. And it jigs pretty deeply. I use my Cordells strictly for jigging deep, way out, when distance is needed. And they work quite well. :)

This was a nice blue I got at the canal after the surface bite died down but fish were still around. Jigging deep with the loaded Cordell got me more fish after the top water, popper crowd gave up.

You can see the buck shot in the bottom half of the popper where it's more grey.

2014-09-10_08-24-23_584.jpg.70fe9af7cb2c34a6d443a1348f67c2d7.jpg

19 mins ago, zak-striper said:

are yours loaded up just a little? for better distance but to use on top or do you jig yours?

I load mine from 2.75-3.25oz.  I normally write the weight with indelible marker on the plug's belly. But as you can see, I ran sandpaper on that plug to turn it white.   YMMV, but I found plugs loaded over 3.5 often rupture upon hitting the water.

The Sultan of Sluggo

5 mins ago, bob_G said:

YMMV, but I found plugs loaded over 3.5 often rupture upon hitting the water.

i haven't broken any yet from loading them up. knock on wood. :)

the 6" weighs 1 oz. i load it up with 3 shotguns shells worth of #8 shot. the shells have 7/8oz of shot. i load them up in the front and back so they are not too unbalanced. the white one i currently have in my bag is at least 4 years old. 

25 mins ago, zeke04 said:

Why the tail treble? I remove them or replace with a dressed single.

me too. all my poppers, in a perfect world, have a single, dressed rear hook. i've seen poppers with a dressed, rear hook outperform poppers with just a bare treble way too many times. 

23 mins ago, bob_G said:

Here's a standard loaded Cordell.

Note barbs crushed.

IMG_20210716_063940.jpg

image.jpg

Interesting where you made the hole, Bob.  I always made the hole on the side, not on the bottom or top.  My thinking was I did not want to weaken the fused seam of the two halves of the plug by making a hole on top or on the bottom.  

However, I’m unsure if this made any difference, but that was my thinking ant the time.   Interestingly, I broke and shattered more than a few Cordell’s by banging them on the rocks. Never had a fish break apart a Cordell.   Thanks to Carl, I was able to obtain enough shot to load my plugs.

As far as I can remember, Gary was the only shop of the three that sold loaded Cordell’s.  I may be wrong, but I don’t recall Bruce or Tom selling loaded Cordell’s.