Why I Hate KTP

Rate this topic

Roccus7

On 2/2/2023 at 8:36 AM, Roccus7 said:

Whenever they have a sale, the "fine print" for excluded items is just about everything...

Here are the exclusions from today's 25% off flash sale, enlarged print so you can read it...

*Offer not valid on the purchase of Sale items, Ammunition, Augers, Big Game Reels, Bikes, Bows, Canoes, Electronics, Kayaks, Lasers, Motors, New/Used Firearms (including Black Powder and Air), Optics, Reloading, Safes, Sights, Ski/Board Equipment or SUPs. Offer not valid on products from 13 Fishing®, Asolo®, Avet®, Burton®, Canada Goose®, Carhartt®, Chaco®, Coolibar®, Daiwa®, Dansko®, Dr. Martens®, G. Loomis®, Garmin®, Habitat®, HOKA ONE ONE®, Life is Good®, Merrell®, Minelab®, Mountain Hardwear®, New Balance®, Oakley®, Patagonia®, Penn®, Pura Vida®, Randall Made Knives®, Redington®, RIO®, Sage®, Shimano®, Smith Optics®, St. Croix®, Taos®, The North Face®, Thorogood®, TOMS Shoes®, UGG®, Van Staal® or Werner®. Offer valid on in-stock merchandise only. Offer not to be combined with any other promotion or previous offer. Offer not valid on previous purchases, special orders, at the retail store or on gift card purchases. Offer has no cash value and is not redeemable for cash. Offer subject to change without notice. KTP reserves the right to limit quantities.

These exclusions are not a proprietary of KTP. Most stores have the same exclusions. Check it out with other stores during Thanksgiving sales. Very few exceptions may apply..

Edited by TimS

6 hours ago, levari said:

These exclusions are not a proprietary of KTP. Most stores have the same exclusions. Check it out with other stores during Thanksgiving sales. Very few exceptions may apply..

"Offer not valid on the purchase of Sale items" is fine, except when practically everything in the store happens to be 5% off the same exact week that they flood the local newspapers with 15 and 20% off coupons.   When the coupons expire, the 5% sale suddenly comes to an end.   I'm sure it's just coincidence.   The place epitomizes the term "tourist trap" and is even located in an area most locals know to avoid.   

Marty

13 hours ago, levari said:

Most stores have the same exclusions

On some, yes, but have NEVER seen a blanket one on Big Game Reels, Penn, nor Daiwa at other stores.  Shocked that this one didn't ban Yeti, which is one that I've seen at other stores.  And the clothing like Columbia is a KTP special.  You can online and buy Columbia on sale from may vendors, including Columbia.  

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

So as long as the little KTP moose sweatshirt that is in the bin up front is not on sale, you can use the coupon on that. …for the pink ones… …on a Tuesday…. …morning… if you were the first 100 in line… and the sun is out.

I have slowed from shopping there as the ability to get a deal has disappeared. I sold a pistol to them during the pandemic and got $550 in store credit, hoping for a deal on a OT peddle kayak. It took me over two years to use it up as they have not had any decent deals. No kayak from them but I now have a nice pink sweatshirt with a moose on it and some amazing fudge.

Bass pro is 10 minutes from me. Not much better but if you pay attention, you can save a little. Staff at the gun counters are about equal to KTP. Either some older guy with a tude and lots of pinions or a younger guy that does not know the difference between a Glock 19 and nerf gun. 

I try to never pay retail for any toy or recreational items. So these things matter to me. KTP was much better 10+ years ago. 

Edited by NHAngler

1 hour ago, Roccus7 said:

On some, yes, but have NEVER seen a blanket one on Big Game Reels, Penn, nor Daiwa at other stores.  Shocked that this one didn't ban Yeti, which is one that I've seen at other stores.  And the clothing like Columbia is a KTP special.  You can online and buy Columbia on sale from may vendors, including Columbia.  

Daiwa is excluded in other stores as well. Not sure about all the others in your list. I think the companies are those who forced the retail and online stores to sale at list price.

NEVER seen Penn limited, and there is no "Big Game Reel" company so why try to defend them?  Kind of like George Santos in terms of their "SALE" announcement.  

Anytime KTP advertises a sale, the fine print takes a magnifying glass to read through.  KTP uses sales to increase traffic in the store and online, and then disappoint folks, at least folks who haven't been to this rodeo before...

I just got an email from "Backcountry" and they have 127 Patagonia items on sale, but don't try to get any discount for Patagonia at KTP...

Edited by Roccus7

I'll say it again.   The place is a big tourist trap, probably operating just within the borders of consumer legality, but way outside of anything resembling decent customer service.   I'll take local shops for bait and tackle, and LL Bean for clothing in a heartbeat. 

Marty

4 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

The Penn exclusion must be fairly new. Pretty sure I bought my Torque there with a % off discount promo.

Penn is just another BS exclusion made up by them.  Just look on Amazon for reduced Penn reel prices...

As most all have said, too many exceptions to read all. I understand there can never be a total store sale, but when wife used to come along for the clothing end more than half had no discounts. I found it to be a snagging opportunity for them to get you in. How many guys would read all the exclusions and make sure not to look at that stuff. For my fly gear Eldredge  has or will get you anything and at least other prices. All my Simms, boots, waders, jackets, gloves many times over Jim was great. Nice to spend local and they have funded many spring events and did the January freeze out at Rogers Pond and cooked all morning with Scott rod rep. Giving away a rod and giving us a chance to try all the newest. Those things are what I appreciate.