?????? STUCK ROD FERRULES

Rate this topic

jim smith

23 hours ago, Fergal said:

Vise grip pliers with a little padding under jaws, one each side, twist and done. 

If you use a saw, it won’t splinter as much as vise grips…

I just use a couple pieces of rubber in each hand and twist.  If that doesn’t work, then I’ll add a heat from a hair dryer on the male section and ice in the female section and twist again.

31 mins ago, Fitzy said:

If you use a saw, it won’t splinter as much as vise grips…

I just use a couple pieces of rubber in each hand and twist.  If that doesn’t work, then I’ll add a heat from a hair dryer on the male section and ice in the female section and twist again.

So you are going to heat the male section making it expand and at the same time cool the female causing it to contract ? How does that work. Asking for an idiot friend

Two things in life I love. Fishing, and looking at the wives pictures on the milk Carton

On 1/31/2023 at 10:35 PM, jesgord said:

Have used this tape technique on both fly and surf rods. It has worked every time. 

I use this technique to dismantle the top and bottom assembly's of my very stuck 4 piece salt water fly rods that are only broken down into two pieces with reel on, all year. The tape method looks simple but works amazing well. For me It has been much better that ALL of the other techniques which I have tried, especially by oneself.  Even the the impossibly stuck thin top sections come apart as easily as shown in the video.

For me this is the real deal on getting stuck rods apart.    

I have the top section with both ferrules on it outside tonight letting the cold get to it . I put a few drops of Kroil oil inside the female ferrule standing with it up so it wouldn't leek out . I made a jig to fit around the male ferrule out of wood in two pieces an screwed together with a hole the size of the male but smaller then the female lip on the ferrule. Planning on putting it in a length of PVC pipe longer then the rod section with the wood jig over the opening. Slide a dowel sick inside the male an tap the dowel with a hammer. Hope this will work .

On 2/1/2023 at 4:52 PM, jerseyhunter said:

Put the rod ferrules between your legs and behind the knees.  Grab each side of the rod and use your legs to seperate them.   

Best method by far.  Sounds strange, but put on some Home Depot rubber coated gloves and put the rod behind your knees, arms shoulder width apart, Hands on each side of the connection.   When you squat down, legs/torso will pop it off.

(*member formerly know as 'MD9NYC')

On 2/2/2023 at 3:48 PM, Fitzy said:

My bad… had it backwards… heat the female, and cool the male.

Most metals have a positive temperature coefficient.  Heat them up and they will expand.

Graphite/epoxy has a slight negative temperature coefficient. Cool them down and there will be some expansion.

For metal ferrules you would want to use a fluid to break down any corrosion. After a period of time, carefully warm the ferrule.

For a graphite ferrule, first try cooling down the ferrule. If that doesn't work, cool down the rod and then put the rod behind you as described by jerseyhunter and proceed.

When you are out and there is is no ice available, you can use your car's air conditioner.  Pass the rod across the driver's and passenger seats and center the graphite ferrule near as possible to one of the Air Cond outlets.  It Works.

Don