Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bobber

question for Diogenes...

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hey Dio- what happened with the meetings concerning Hudson River shad fishermen keeping their bycatch for sale on the open market? Couldn't make the meeting the other night... Works got me hoppin' these days- Thanks for the info- Bob

I know dio's been swamped. He gave me the reader's digest. let me try. maybe he can add

One meeting had about 100 people. 98 rec against opening up, 2 in favor. The next meeting was about 75. I think 74 against, 1 in favor, or something like that.

a few very good points brought up concerning why we are even thinking of doing this. there are health concerns, nobody makes a living fishing bass on the hudson and hasnt in like 20 yrs. so public has spoken. now its just a matter of how much capital Pataki wnats to put into opening this up.

JohnP got it right.

From what I hear, the Kingston meeting had 101 "official" attendees, plus a few that didn't sign in. It got pretty raucous. At the end of the night, they took a vote of those who remained. 77 against the opening, 2 in favor.

I was at Spring Valley. Smaller and better-behaved crowd. Of those who spoke, all but one opposed the opening, including a herring gillnetter who talked about the "midnight fishery" for illegal bass, and how the creation of a legal fishery would just make illegal harvest easier. PCBs were a big issue, although the Committee kept trying to pass it off as a health department issue.

I've talked to two of the committee members since--the last about 30 seconds before getting on to SOL just now. The feeling is that the committee will be (surprise!) split 3 pro-commercial, 3 anti-commercial. It all depends how the Chairman goes, ant that's always a risk. With his background, he may have commercial leanings.

Still, its a lot better than it looked 18 months ago. We have to keep it in the public eye.