Ultrasonic Cleaning?

Rate this topic

planter

Secondary containers, like the zip lock bag mentioned above, work well in ultrasonic cleaners.  I use small glass jars in mine.  The small, hotel size jam/jelly jars work well with acetone for bearings.  

I've had good results cleaning/degreasing with a water and a small amount of liquid laundry detergent for metal components. My cleaner also has a heating feature which helps.

I usually clean plastic parts by hand with a toothbrush and soapy water and then rinse.

34 mins ago, Mike Mendez said:

Secondary containers, like the zip lock bag mentioned above, work well in ultrasonic cleaners.  I use small glass jars in mine.  The small, hotel size jam/jelly jars work well with acetone for bearings.  

I've had good results cleaning/degreasing with a water and a small amount of liquid laundry detergent for metal components. My cleaner also has a heating feature which helps.

I usually clean plastic parts by hand with a toothbrush and soapy water and then rinse.

I was actually going to do a little research about that, my buddies that up the street mentioned something about this!

It would make sense that the waves would pass through anything else, but was curious if they would penetrate or weaken going through the glass?

I’ve had a very small one here for a while that somebody gave me and never really messed with chemicals in one, keep hearing to use vinegar as well, especially on brass parts?

But the more and more I keep hearing about this, sounds like I should bring it back out and start experimenting again lol!

EA

On 1/26/2023 at 11:07 AM, LB said:

l use CRC brake cleaner no flammable breaks grease down real fast and drys instantly, can't get in NJ anymore l bought it by the case. Nothing works as good it won't harm plastic or paint finish.

BRAKE CLEANER CRC NON CHLORINATED | Bolts N' More

I was out of same red brake clean for bearings cleaner tool that I used - so I tried new VOC compliant green Gunk M4815NC Non-Chlorinated Carburetor Parts I had laying around. 

M4815NC_fro_00_032017_1500x1500-72-DPI.j

On the bearing cleaning tool there are rubber rings to create good seal to blow shield bearings under pressure - well...it swelled rubber rings on the tool like 3 times the size and ripped one. Luckily, I had extra set of seals to replace. 

Careful with new non chlorinated cleaners, some of them appear to attack rubber.

3 hours ago, Jig It said:

I was out of same red brake clean for bearings cleaner tool that I used - so I tried new VOC compliant green Gunk M4815NC Non-Chlorinated Carburetor Parts I had laying around. 

M4815NC_fro_00_032017_1500x1500-72-DPI.j

On the bearing cleaning tool there are rubber rings to create good seal to blow shield bearings under pressure - well...it swelled rubber rings on the tool like 3 times the size and ripped one. Luckily, I had extra set of seals to replace. 

Careful with new non chlorinated cleaners, some of them appear to attack rubber.

We were just talking about this in another thread!

That’s so weird, that Gunk, is the crap that ruined a couple of my reels and some anodized car rims too and we were also talking about the CRC brake clean lol!

Apparently, it’s been outlawed here in New Jersey for years and did not know it…!!!

EA

On 2/5/2023 at 2:16 PM, ExcessiveAngler said:

We were just talking about this in another thread!

That’s so weird, that Gunk, is the crap that ruined a couple of my reels and some anodized car rims too and we were also talking about the CRC brake clean lol!

Apparently, it’s been outlawed here in New Jersey for years and did not know it…!!!

EA

Can you tell me what the ingredients are?

It's available in PA, Pick up only can't be shipped to NJ

Picked up last can of naphtha at home depot today - at half price. Works well as degreaser. It looks like it is being replaced with this crap, probably to comply with VOC regulations.

I'm not sure if all the good stuff is disappearing but would get it what you like using before too late. 

80091656-03e5-478d-8969-f5a6fffab9a2.jpg

On 1/26/2023 at 10:42 AM, planter said:

Hey folks.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner I use to clean range brass for reloading.

what if any drawbacks are the doing the same thing to clean the parts of a reel I’ve broken down into little bits? I thought a drop of downy and an hour in the cleaner would do a great jobs and I would immediately dry them with my wife’s hair dryer and then give everything a shot of Rem oil to get some oil on EVERYTHING and then oil and grease the beast. If that’s not a good idea what sort of cleaning agent should use? In the past I’ve used a lot of WD and then just used the house compressor to blow all the WD and any remaining crud out. Them it was a spritz of WD and a thorough application of oil and grease. Bad idea? In of that what should I be using to clean the real internals??

Thanks for the good answers I always get on this forum. You guys are always help full.

one more question if I may? I need friction rings for a couple of 10 yo Stradic 6000 and it’s been discontinued so I’m striking out in locating. Is there a substitute? You guys have a great day and thanks again for your help!

I fill my cleaner with water, place the parts in a separate stainless container with a mix of simple green and water and float that in the cleaner. If yours has a heating cycle let it warm up before turning on the sonic motors. I think an hour is way too long for aluminum parts as they could get pitted. I usually run 1 or 2 ten minute cycles before straining, rinsing and drying the cleaned parts. Here's a before and after shot of one of my Penn's that I put through the sonic cleaner. I hate the way simple green smells. Makes me want to puke for some reason so looking for a better option.

Before.jpg

After.jpg

9 hours ago, beerdoh said:

I fill my cleaner with water, place the parts in a separate stainless container with a mix of simple green and water and float that in the cleaner. If yours has a heating cycle let it warm up before turning on the sonic motors. I think an hour is way too long for aluminum parts as they could get pitted. I usually run 1 or 2 ten minute cycles before straining, rinsing and drying the cleaned parts. Here's a before and after shot of one of my Penn's that I put through the sonic cleaner. I hate the way simple green smells. Makes me want to puke for some reason so looking for a better option.

Before.jpg

After.jpg

Maybe try Dawn dish soap degreaser... I think Dawn also has a professional liquid degreaser..

I have a plastic container with lid that i call my parts cleaner. I put the parts and paint thinner in it and shake vigourously......drink a beer.....shake vigouresly again. Put parts in another plastic container with dish soap and water and shake vigouresly.....drink a beer....rinse with water.....drink beer until dry. Assemble with oil and grease of your choice...scotch can be substituted for beer but reassembly will be slower

"what good are tractors without violins" ?   jose figueres

On 2/16/2023 at 11:11 AM, beerdoh said:

Before.jpg

After.jpg

The pharmaceutical plant used simple green on its floors and walls in the clean rooms.

I'm used to the smell from working there

troll #122  <*)))<

• 2 weeks later...

i clean reels with CRC hydroforce in a steel mesh basket or in a glass jar.

just dont US too long, some industrial use unit will literally burn a hole through aluminum.,

if you dont know what i mean, throw a soda can in a us machine. can will disappear after a while. lol

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')

How about getting a nice old Penn mag reel, from some idiot, who couldn’t get it apart!

Then decided to throw the whole reel in the ultrasonic cleaner with simple green, thinking it might help free up, the plates and screws!

Then they turn around and sell it with the finish missing off of the reel lol, and I was dumb enough to buy it. Lol.

I knew when I got this damn thing, it stunk horribly, because I hate the smell of simple green myself lol!

Sure enough, when I got home and opened it, there was literally residue all over inside!

EA