Wood in kettle, carne asada?

Rate this topic

jjdbike

Hello everyone,

Since moving to SoCal I have been inspired to learn some basic Mexican & SW cuisine. I want to take my first swing at carne asada. I've read several recipes. Many say it sous be smokey, spicy and sweet, crisp char on outside and tender and juicy inside. Sounds amazing to me and like quite a balancing act. Any tips for that?

Anyway, to the smokey part. I watched a video on YouTube of a Mexican woman making carne asada. She cooked it on what looked like a Weber 22" using post oak splits for fuel. I've never seen that. Has anyone here ever tried that? I don't know if I'd want all wood, but it might add some complexity to add a couple mini splits to the hot coals till they star to burn clean then add the wood.

Your thoughts and advice?

Thanks in advance,
JD

Skirt would be my first choice for the meat.  Second sirloin tip because it’s cheap. I’d use dried peppers in the marinade. I’ve used wood splits with charcoal on the kettle.  Didn’t notice a lot of difference except with mesquite and everything on that grill smelled of mesquite for a month or two after. 

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

52 mins ago, JimW said:

Skirt would be my first choice for the meat.  Second sirloin tip because it’s cheap. I’d use dried peppers in the marinade. I’ve used wood splits with charcoal on the kettle.  Didn’t notice a lot of difference except with mesquite and everything on that grill smelled of mesquite for a month or two after. 

Thanks,

Yes, mesquite is quite strong and not for everyone's pallet.

I'll report back.

JD

Jim, I like mesquite charcoal for some grilled meats…. Like carne asada… An open, hot fire will get your desired doneness/char, and the mesquite will give it that smoky flavor… I usually just pick up some pre-marinated meat at a local carniceria… 

Butch

Edited by Midnightpass

Thanks all.

I made it Saturday. 
Like Butch said, I picked up pre marinated flap meat (bottom swelling butt) at El Super. 
Got charcoal going and added two baseball sized chunks of white post oak. Nice combo of charcoal w/ a kiss of smoke.

The flavor of the marinade was nice w/ out overpowering the beef.

It was dark when it finished it so I accidentally overcooked it. It was medium to medium well but still very tasty.

Roasted whit onions and mixed color bell peppers and Jalapeños. Did seasoned black beans and Spanish style rice on the side. Fajitas!

It was so good I had carne tacos for all three meals yesterday.

Best regards!

JD

P.S., I ordered a Santa Maria style attachment for my Weber Kettle. Next up, Santa Maria style tri tip over oak.

8C2097D9-2AF7-4422-9062-EB8842297C19.jpeg

4B9DE3E3-26E0-495E-8630-0322F23DB3EF.jpeg

E1546F12-F015-4A00-85D1-FFF0AAA8641C.jpeg

65E2DC20-70DA-49BE-8D02-DB2D3C5D912F.jpeg

6D78F289-3DE4-4D04-8E45-CAA9E15A7F39.jpeg

2 hours ago, vce12342000 said:

Yes that convinced me to pull the trigger.

I thought it would be great for tri tip, carne asada, sausages, kabobs, roasting corn & chilis, etc..

I’m a little concerned about it’s quality at that price point. I’ll report back after I use it. I’m assuming there’s going to be a learning curve.

JD

Looks fun for that kind of money.  

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black