Ireland!...golfing/fishing? suggestions

Rate this topic

striperstalker2

I've talked to some representatives of a group promoting Irish fishing at fly fishing shows.  If you Google "Angling Ireland" you can find a site that provides information on guides, tackle shops, etc.

From what I can tell, the most interesting fishing is for Atlantic salmon; there are a number of outfitters/lodges that guide anglers on local rivers, which can be adjacent to the lodge.  How good the fishing is compared to Canada, Iceland, or other European operations, I don't know.  There is also some saltwater fishing for European bass, which seems--and I say "seems" because I'm getting all my knowledge from conversations and brochures, not from actual experience--most available on the southwest coast, with some other minor species available.  Inland, there seems to be some fairly decent pike fishing,.

Again, I have no personal knowledge, but pre-COVID was considering an Irish fishing trip just for the sake of doing something different, seeing some new country, and eating some different food, so I have done a bit of preliminary research,.  Somebody who has actually been there could probably provide much more useful information.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Kildare Hotel and Country Club, aka The K Club. Golf, clays and 2+ miles of the Liffey River as I recall it. It’s been 20 years but the ghillies were a hoot and the wild trout were quite big. 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

Just in case the fishing is fooked, and yer golf game lacking ... :D:beers:

"I'm coming to Dublin. Tell me how I can visit the home of Guinness."

"Easy. The Guinness Storehouse would love to welcome you to its home at St. James's Gate. The Guinness Storehouse is a seven-story tribute to the black stuff – a unique visitor center opened in 2000 in the heart of the brewery. There you can learn all about our history, brewing process, advertising, and more. And then savor a perfectly-served pint of Guinness stout while enjoying one of Dublin's best views."

St James's Gate, Dublin 8, Ireland

JB ;-)

I fished a loch with a gillie, just not sure how I got connected to him. possibly through the concierge at the K Club. it was very different, rowing around with flies dragged behind the boat. caught some big fish, but I annoyed the gillie when i would not let him dispatch the fish with his "priest" and insisted we release it. that was around 2000, before the Irish realized C&R was a thing. we released three or four that day, kept one because gillie insisted on scooping out its innards to see what they were "munching". 

If I had to do that over again, i would have done another river or stretch of that same river. i am much more of a visual person and watching a dry fly get slurped is much more rewarding than waiting for a dragged line to go tight. 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

Did a day of fishing for wild brown trout on the Kells Blackwater about 15 years ago.  I was in Ireland on business and wasn't sure I would get out, so had none of my own gear (except for a small box of flies).  Arranged through the Irish flyfishing organization that I spoke with at the NJ flyfishing show, to meet up with a guide who would provide me with the proper permit and gear (waders, rod/reel) - I wanted to fish on my own.  He gave me a hand-drawn map with access points near the village where we met up.  Had a lot of fun, caught some decent fish (about the same size as I catch here).  Just wanted to have the experience of fishing on the other side of the pond and catch a brown trout in its native waters, so I was happy to have that chance, and it was an inexpensive way to do it.  It's fairly close to Dublin, so would be a pretty easy day trip from there.

The beauty of Ireland is seafood stew, brown bread w/butter and a pint of Guinness.

Only on the Emerald Isle, The Republic AND Northern Island, can you get a "proper pint".  All output from St. James' Gate that stays on the Island gets to skip the Pasteurization process.  EVERYTHING ELSE gets bastardized.  It's like drinking a milk shake!!

Edited by Roccus7

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

16 mins ago, striperstalker2 said:

This is what I’ve heard!..can’t wait, I just started drinking Guinness last year and it’s all I drink for beer now when I drink beer!I went to the Irish pub in Kennebunk and my friends insist I try it even though I don’t like dark beer..great stuff!

You have no idea.  When I got back from living in Ireland I tried one pint at an "Irish Pub" and almost spit it out.  They are totally different.  The "Draft" ones in the Tall Cans are not too bad, but always superior to the on tap stuff here.  They contain a "Widget", a nitrogen filled plastic ball inside which releases the Nitrogen gas when you open the can.  It's passable, and when I'm really pining for the Old Sod, my go to.  Of course I use nothing but Kerry Gold butter now, but have yet to find a proper loaf of brown bread.

Favorite story while living there.  When taking first time visiting American colleagues out I'd offer them a Guinness, "Oh no, I don't like them!"  "Tell you what, I'll order one and you taste it.  If you like it keep it, and I'll order another one for me."

Guess who ALWAYS had to order a second one for himself???

Edited by Roccus7

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar