Edison Fly Fishing Show this weekend

Rate this topic

The Fisherman

Time flies, and it's already time for Edison. I thought the Marlborough Show was excellent, and Edison should be even bigger and better. There's a good mix of saltwater tying demos and seminars, and of course plenty of them devoted to sweet water fly fishing. This show is a great opportunity to meet and talk with some of the industry's best and brightest, and when I'm not speaking or tying or trying to score some hackle on the show floor, you'll find me sitting in on talks and demos. I picked up some great tips and tricks in Marlborough last weekend.

Tying an Orange Ruthless clam worm at Marlborough, part of my Presentation Flies for Striped Bass demo. I'll be Featured Fly Tyer in Edison on Saturday, 1/28 at 12:30pm, tying Spiders, Winged, and Wingless Wets. (Thanks to surfcaster extraordinaire Toby Lapinski for the photo.)

FFTMarlborough.jpeg.31f2a668552fadbaad4985579942475e.jpeg

Busy-busy-busy! Here's my complete schedule. I still have room in both classes in case you're interested. I print this out to have as a reference sheet; I also make notes in the margins about other talks and demos I don't want miss. Hope to see you there, and if you do come, please say hello.

63d17c95cae19_Edison-InstagramFBStoriesFile1080x1920.jpg.1278b00b5d2ddf409eb10802daba42fa.jpg

Steve Culton

"We fish for pleasure; I for Mine, you for yours."
-- James Leisenring

30 mins ago, valentine said:

Yes, this is a great show and certainly worth visiting if you’re suffering from cabin fever or just want to see and play with  all the latest and greatest gear  in the world of fly fishing.

Love this show. We’d make a weekend of it.

I'll ignore your cheap aroma,

and your little-bo-peep diploma,

I'll just put you in a coma,

with some dirty love-

We just got back from the show a little while ago.  I have to say I was disappointed.  For one thing, the layout of the aisles is terrible.  In the old Somerset days, I would systematically start at one end and go up and down every aisle and know that I covered everything.  In this place, the aisles are too broken up by casting areas.  I was never 100% sure I got to everything.

I was also surprised at the lack of very many well-stocked fly tying materials suppliers.  I came with a shopping list of 10 or so items and left with only two in hand.  Disappointing.

I attended Tim Flagler’s night fishing seminar, which was pretty good, but the noise from the speaker in the adjacent room was too loud and it was hard to hear.

Totally agree with the sentiment that the show was mediocre at best. Felt old and tired. Lots of big names weren’t there…orvis, loomis, sage, hatch, etc. and I agree the layout is far from ideal.  Love to see all of the amazing tiers and able to buy some beautifully tied flies.  Also good to speak to some of the destinations/lodges…Iceland, Belize, etc.  All of that being said I’m happy I went and would gladly go again.  

If you're disappointed by certain companies not attending, your best course of action is to contact that company and tell them. As far as layout, the show provides a pamphlet with a map and list of vendor/dealer/outfitters/guides locations. It's a big show for sure! 

After two busy days, I'm back, and my perspective on the show was that the energy was excellent. Everyone I spoke to was having a great time. A good crowd on Friday and an even better one Saturday. I wish I could have had today to walk around and explore and see more talks and demos and visit more vendors. These shows are such a wonderful opportunity.

Steve Culton    

"We fish for pleasure; I for Mine, you for yours."
-- James Leisenring

I went and enjoyed it. I was interested in a little more of the travel stuff this year than I normally would be. 

If you went as a shopper I could see a lot less than other years. I had a small list of tying stuff that I was hoping to get. I got a few things and the rest I will make road trip or buy online, 

5 mins ago, Kml said:

I went and enjoyed it. I was interested in a little more of the travel stuff this year than I normally would be. 

If you went as a shopper I could see a lot less than other years. I had a small list of tying stuff that I was hoping to get. I got a few things and the rest I will make road trip or buy online, 

I had 12 or so things on my list and I got 3 or 4 of them. 

At the shows, I want to buy stuff that I can’t get locally and maybe to try some rods out. After that, I’m not at all interested in much else. 

I’m guessing the issue is still Covid related (first Marlborough show in a few years) as well as financial. I assume it costs a lot for a rod co to come with their lines, necessary staff and booths and that’s not in the budget these days. Hopefully, next year is better. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.