Mark J

Brand New Slammer IV 5500DX. Is this a drain?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The reel came in the mail today and I was pretty stoked... until I removed the spool to notice an empty hole where I assume there should be a cap, plug, seal, rivet, or whatever it's called. Maybe I'm trippin', and it's part of the design.

IMG_20230124_151112.jpg

IMG_20230124_151106.jpg

Edited by Mark J
Different mind-set

You sure it wasn't a drain? To get water away from the spool shaft as fast as possible?  There is no need to put a gigantic hole on the rotor and then plug it up. 

8 mins ago, hobobob said:

You sure it wasn't a drain? To get water away from the spool shaft as fast as possible?  There is no need to put a gigantic hole on the rotor and then plug it up. 

It may very well be. I've just never seen this before. I watched a guy on YouTube disassembling a standard Slammer IV 5500 and no hole.

I have the 5500DX as well. It’s been a long day and I can’t muster the energy to go down to the basement and take it apart but if you haven’t gotten a good answer by tomorrow I’ll go take some photographs of mine in the event that there is supposed to be a seal there. To Hobobob’s point I imagine that hole is there for a reason.  

Mark J:

Did you look at the schematic?  Many rotors have holes in them.  

Know the following:  

- The rotor does NOT go into the body of the reel.  Having a hole there is inconsequential.  

- In order to keep water out of the body of a sealed spinning reel, the top of the reel needs to have a seal around the pinion AND around the main shaft.  Then there are seals around the side plate(s) and handle. Having a hole on the rotor doesn’t matter at all.

-While we’re at it, you should also know that the word “sealed” has limitations.  Just realize that this reel does not have automotive grade seals, so understand that you should avoid submersion as much as possible.  

Enjoy your new reel! 

3 mins ago, GSB706z said:

Mark J:

Know the following:  

- The rotor does NOT go into the body of the reel.  Having a hole there is inconsequential.  

- In order to keep water out of the body of a sealed spinning reel, the top of the reel needs to have a seal around the pinion AND around the main shaft.  Then there are seals around the side plate(s) and handle. Having a hole on the rotor doesn’t matter at all.

-While we’re at it, you should also know that the word “sealed” has limitations.  Just realize that this reel does not have automotive grade seals, so understand that you should avoid submersion as much as possible.  

Enjoy your new reel! 

Thanks this was helpful explanation. The extent to which it is really “sealed” seems questionable as you point out. But to the OP I will add that I’ve submerged mine a ton and it’s still like new w/ just the normal spray downs. 

7 mins ago, GSB706z said:

Mark J:

Know the following:  

Enjoy your new reel! 

Thanks for the input. I know the limitations of the reel as far as dunking it goes. I figure it will be pretty darn durable if I take care of it. I was just surprised to see this hole as it doesn't exist on my Spinfisher Vl or on a Slammer I watched a guy disassembling on YouTube.

Posted (edited)

I have these pictures in the wrong order, but you can see how in the picture with the orange arrow, the brass colored pinion is directly up against the silver colored metal without a seal directly in between.  Rather, they nestle a small red o-ring underneath the rotor in a recess and the rotor spins on that red o-ring up against a portion just outside of pinion.  In a reel like a VS, there would be a large “main seal” directly up against pinion/sleeve guide.  

Because the reel does not have automotive grade seals AND because the pinion seal is small/indirect, I personally would avoid getting it wet when reasonably possible.  Please do not take that to mean that I think it is not a good reel! It’s a very nice reel.  The nice thing is it is designed to ward off splashing AND it’s easy to quickly take off the side plate for quick greasing or the reel is still simple enough for a total breakdown.  Also, parts are usually readily available from a place that starts with an M in NJ or directly from Penn.  And parts are typically carried for years.  Also, they have a helpful forum here known for good customer service.

As mentioned above by Mainly, his was submerged without noticeable issues.  But, again, keep in mind grease and rinsing could be helping to mitigate his and salt, and that little red o-ring near the pinion is holding up for now. It’s a very nice reel, but I just want to help anyone reading to not get confused into thinking it’s ready for hardcore without fairly frequent maintenance.  And obviously not everyone needs hardcore sealing.  Enjoy the reel! 

B9159CCD-C06C-4F0B-B596-A678B99ABC80.png

63B2E8FA-1E6F-4557-AEF0-3E47925A8207.png

63960EE5-64AF-47BA-9F4E-6C0373FBF0CE.jpeg

36193D44-5C5D-4C3C-B23B-19E51A3B4AA6.png

Edited by GSB706z
Grammar

4 mins ago, GSB706z said:

I have these pictures in the wrong order, but you can see how in the picture with the orange arrow, the brass colored pinion is directly up against the silver colored metal without a seal directly in between.  In a reel like a VS, there would be a large “main seal” in between. 

Because the reel does not have automotive grade seals AND lacks a seal directly around the pinion, I personally would avoid getting it wet when reasonably possible.  Please do not take that to mean that I think it is not a good reel! It’s a very nice reel.  The nice thing is it is designed to ward off splashing AND it’s easy to quickly take off the side plate for quick greasing or the reel is still simple enough for a total breakdown.  Also, parts are usually readily available from a place that starts with an M in NJ or directly from Penn.  And parts are typically carried for years.  Also, they have a helpful forum here known for good customer service.

As mentioned above by Mainly, his was submerged without noticeable issues.  But, again, keep in mind grease and rinsing could be helping to mitigate his and salt water can still get in.  It’s a very nice reel, but I just want to help anyone reading to not get confused into thinking it’s ready for hardcore without fairly frequent maintenance.  And obviously not everyone needs hardcore sealing.  Enjoy the reel! 

B9159CCD-C06C-4F0B-B596-A678B99ABC80.png

63B2E8FA-1E6F-4557-AEF0-3E47925A8207.png

63960EE5-64AF-47BA-9F4E-6C0373FBF0CE.jpeg

36193D44-5C5D-4C3C-B23B-19E51A3B4AA6.png

Thanks so much! I see the drain hole in that one. I was just surprised by it. I've been using a Spinfisher Vl 4500 for a couple years and it's held perfectly well with limited abuse and general maintenance. Jumped on the Slammer DX when I found a great deal. The stainless gears should hold up for years. It's heavy, but sits well on my 11' ODM Genesis. Sounds a little Geary, though. I might check the grease and add some. 

Posted (edited)

Just to clarify, with the rotor riding onto that little red o-ring (also seen near orange arrow) within the rotor recess, there is technically indirect sealing around the pinion, but it’s perhaps something to keep an eye on considering it’s small size/small surface area and composition.  It might be worth replacing every so often and using the proper grease for hydrophobic type purposes and to slow wear down.   

Edited by GSB706z
Details

On 1/24/2023 at 9:38 PM, Mark J said:

It may very well be. I've just never seen this before. I watched a guy on YouTube disassembling a standard Slammer IV 5500 and no hole.

I might know that guy

1 min ago, scoobydoo said:

I might know that guy

Actually, it was someone else, Scoobydoo. I do, however, watch and enjoy your videos because, well, I'm a geek. Anyway, I was just thrown by the drainage port at first and feel pretty foolish now.

On 1/26/2023 at 2:16 PM, scoobydoo said:

I might know that guy

I was waiting for this comment.........:howdy: