TopStriperAngler

Fishing Log Vs. Memory

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

41 mins ago, KnewBee said:

Very simple.  Only problem I have is remembering to enter the info.

I jot down date, time, catches in an old notebook and then weekly or so, go into the program and enter the data.  When entering fish, I have typed in all the various species and use the drop-down menu to populate that days catch.  Simple. 

At the end of the year, I use the "analysis tool" to capture the yearly results.  My trip count has fallen off a bit in the past couple years. The tool allows you to select date timeframe, fresh or salt, etc..  to plot results.

Captdcdcure.PNG

Captvvbvure.PNG

Wow that’s awesome! Definitely going to do this. Thanks for the screenshots and explanation. 

My memory is too fallible, so I use a log.  I am on about my 3rd commercial product and have  settled (I think} on the one I am currently using. I like being able to empirically assess what I did and when without the risk of faulty recollection, even though. I might still try something completely different.

I also have some photos of structure and terrain at different tides so once I hit my destination I know in what direction I should go. Google Earth can also be very helpful for this.

2 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Always keep a surf fishing log. It is uncanny how often history repeats itself.

I’ve gotten lazy in my old age, but in my early years i was diligent in keeping a log. And you’re right Steve, i can’t remember how many times situations and patterns duplicated themselves. It’s a practice that can pay dividends if you discipline yourself to keeping one.

On 1/24/2023 at 4:56 PM, TopStriperAngler said:

I never done fishing log. Last year made notes in Google Earth the free computer application. Didn't make notes after every trip mostly just made notes about what happened during a tide cycle or that kind of stuff. There's like a three month gap in entries dunno why. I was fishing that whole time but I can only come up with a vague chronology of what happened. I guess this year will try to do a better job and keep up on it. I like the Google Earth thing. Memory is pretty useless when it comes down to it. At same time seems like things change every year and the big takeaway from recent seasons is you have to keep moving to find fish, seem to set up different spots each year. 

I find that memory and skill are more important. I also believe that having data about what worked and what didn't on a day under certain conditions is very useful especially if you're not out there every day. I am going to start using a book for boat trips. I know some winds and tides stack fish up on certain areas. Bait has a lot to do with things too though and sometimes it's just up to luck and finding the fish. If conditions are similar on similar dates, I would definitely consider going to spots you've done well at before. Your knowledge will ultimately be the biggest factor though. 

On 1/25/2023 at 5:24 PM, klisagar said:

My memory is too fallible, so I use a log.  I am on about my 3rd commercial product and have  settled (I think} on the one I am currently using. I like being able to empirically assess what I did and when without the risk of faulty recollection, even though. I might still try something completely different.

I also have some photos of structure and terrain at different tides so once I hit my destination I know in what direction I should go. Google Earth can also be very helpful for this.

What is the commercial product you’re using now?

It is called Anglers' Log.  There is a free version but I am using the Pro version which has some additional features and no ads.  I am running it on an Android phone.  Available on Google Play or the iPhone App Store.

You do tend to pick up on the nuances of different spots and seasons, etc. without a log. But... when looking back through my log entries I sometimes find that I'm off in my memories of when some events happened I may be off by a few months. That's a critical difference. And logs will help you to pick up on patterns much quicker.