TopStriperAngler

Fishing Log Vs. Memory

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

I never done fishing log. Last year made notes in Google Earth the free computer application. Didn't make notes after every trip mostly just made notes about what happened during a tide cycle or that kind of stuff. There's like a three month gap in entries dunno why. I was fishing that whole time but I can only come up with a vague chronology of what happened. I guess this year will try to do a better job and keep up on it. I like the Google Earth thing. Memory is pretty useless when it comes down to it. At same time seems like things change every year and the big takeaway from recent seasons is you have to keep moving to find fish, seem to set up different spots each year. 

I've been keeping one of sorts for over 20 years.  Started off with just basic when, where, what I caught.  Eventually added more details.  It's a great way to remember past fishing adventures.

I asked about keeping a log recently somewhere else and the general consensus seemed to be that it wasn't very useful in the long run as you eventually just pick up on the patterns yourself without the aid of recorded data. Can't speak to this myself, but I may try to keep one myself to see how useful it is for a beginner.

20 mins ago, Camhabib said:

I asked about keeping a log recently somewhere else and the general consensus seemed to be that it wasn't very useful in the long run as you eventually just pick up on the patterns yourself without the aid of recorded data. Can't speak to this myself, but I may try to keep one myself to see how useful it is for a beginner.

I can concur with the fact that once you pick up the patterns, you’re golden. Spend time dedicated to an area. You’ll figure how to consistently get on bites in an area. Each area is going to be different. Can be bait dependent, tide dependent, time of year dependent, etc. it’s life on easy mode once you figure it out. Usually take 1-2 years of putting in time. Or a weekend for the ones who already know what to look for  lol

I also concur, except the 1 to 2 year bit is only the beginning.  I’ve spent a lifetime fishing the same general areas. I don’t need no stinkin log to tell me where to fish or to remind me of past glory. 

I still keep an old school book and write as much as I can.

While I agree that once you get dialed on patterns your memory will serve you well.

With that as I’ve gotten older, I’ve found that sometimes dates, times etc. we’re not what I remembered. Having the logs to go back too is a invaluable source of info.

Also it is cool to go back 20 years and see how much has changed for better or worse.

Some guys I fish with never kept one and they do great.

The log works for me and I will keep doing it.

Logging entries was important to me as a young surfcaster.  The logbook eventually became instrumental for me as I became a writer.  It is also the ultimate arbiter when the invariable disagreements come up with my casting partners over what happened… and when. 

42 mins ago, DZ said:

Logging entries was important to me as a young surfcaster.  The logbook eventually became instrumental for me as I became a writer.  It is also the ultimate arbiter when the invariable disagreements come up with my casting partners over what happened… and when. 

Don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story Dennis

I keep a log in an excel spreadsheet partially for the "log" aspect, partially to just help keep the memories alive, but also to help remember what we caught and when so I can tell my friends things like "no, that 33 bluefin days wasn't in June of '12, it was in July of '13."

For me as someone who is new the log is really important. When you’re sleep deprived and fishing multiple days in a row the nights start to blur together and the ole memory starts getting fuzzy around the edges. I had two nights this summer where I was into larger fish at a particular spot. I entered the sessions into my log as per usual.

For whatever reason I subsequently got it into my head that there was a heavy west wind blowing on those two nights. So I spent the next month hitting that spot hard on nights where it was blowing west. Got fish but never anything over slot. Then one day after another fruitless west-wind adventure I decided to pull up my logs to look at those two nights again to see if there were other variables I had overlooked. To my surprise, when I consulted my log I realized I had remembered the wind direction totally incorrectly. My sleep-deprived brain remembered “west” but in my log I had recorded a totally different direction. Anyway, the next night that it blew hard in that particular direction I hit that spot and was back into bigger fish again. Without the log, just going off of memory, I probably would have kept banging my head against the wall trying to fish that spot on west wind nights. 

So I guess the lesson there is 1) as a newbie I find keeping a log really crucial and 2) don’t just keep the log but actually go back and read the log on a regular basis. If I had actually bothered to check what I had logged I would have saved myself a lot of headache. 

photos on my phone...this time last year or 5 yrs or 8 years ago on this date or week always pops up...they have the location date ect ect..a lot easier than a log book ..u can add notes to pics, air temp water temp what u caught it on ect. ect. if u feel the need if not it atleast covers the basics

One thing Jerry Audet talks about is just using your phone’s audio recording feature to record your notes and thoughts on the drive home. Then at a later date when you have a free moment you can transcribe the notes from the recording and add them to your log. I will probably do that this year.