jerseyhunter

Fluking in Florida

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Thanks for the replies guys, never fished for Permit either,  guess neither do you guys. There the only 2 open right now.

I have had great luck fishing for fluke / southern flounder around the northern areas of Fl.

Same set up I use up north here in NY, smaller bucktails and gulp 1/8-1/4-3/8 jigheads with smaller swimming mullet lighter 7’ rod and 15lb braid and light leader.

have had great success around St. Augustine area.

Working the back bays and inlet areas j to the marsh.

What area were you planning on fishing ?

tight lines !  

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Snook_Slayr said:

What part of Florida

Key Marathon on the gulf side, If I got that term correct.  Something to do on vacation to kill a day.  Also permit if available.

Edited by jerseyhunter

Marathon key ? Rent a skiff for the day . Fish around the bridges .. small jig heads and plastics or tins . Have some top water too .. Catch small fish , up grade that to large .. enjoy . Some fun in sun sounds amazing . Skip the fluke lol 

13 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

:shrug: The real question is who goes to Florida looking to catch fluke  .. 

yup

16 hours ago, jerseyhunter said:

Key Marathon on the gulf side, If I got that term correct.  Something to do on vacation to kill a day.  Also permit if available.

I’ve fished the Keys many times. From Key Largo down to Key West and have never caught nor have seen a flounder/fluke caught down there.

I’ve gigged flounder in SWFL many years ago. The boat was akin to a bow fishing boat with floodlights on the bow, and we would spear them at night. Other than that, I’ve caught many southern flounder as bycatch when snook fishing & crawling a small swim bait along the bottom